Sketchy Rejection
I know there's no point in analyzing the whys and hows of rejection letters, because you'll just drive yourself crazy for no reason. But I just got one today that I felt was sort of sketchy. I sent the story exactly three months ago, and on their site it says not to inquire about the status of your submission until three months have passed. Fine. Sure. I just got a form rejection e-mail on THE DAY three months was up. I don't know why I feel iffy about this. I shouldn't. Except that it is a little coincidental. It makes me think a) it wasn't even read, and their system is just programmed to spit out rejections at the 3-month mark, or b) it was read ages ago but a reply wasn't sent until the very last second. Which is also obnoxious because that's three whole months I could have been submitting elsewhere. Now, you could argue c) they were considering it, but I highly doubt it because of the form. Not that I expect magazines to send personal rejections. I don't. But the past two places that had a story for-freakin-ever at least sent a note.
I'm not usually the oversensitive writer-type who reads too much into her rejections. However, I don't think I'll send there again. If F&SF can respond in eight days with comments that show the story was read, smaller magazines can. And that is all I have to say about that.
I haven't been getting form rejections lately, anyhow. So yeah. NEXT.
4 comments:
What sketchy magazine did you submit to? (Just so I can watch out for them...)
I've heard F&SF has a reputation for being fast...I guess that's true, huh? Good for those of us who have no patience...like me.
I'm hoping for a future where we can both be published someday...!
--Melissa
Look at it this way, kiddo, at least they didn't send you an acceptance letter, then immediately take back the acceptance letter...only to send you a third, even more lengthy and confusing letter stating that if you "only make these few changes" that they will, in fact, give you credit...I mean...accept your work...
only to reject it in the end anyway.
Watch out for shrks...they lrk vrywhr....
There are all sorts of shrks in publishing, I have heard.
Totally sketch. Completely and totally. Good luck with submissions!
Post a Comment