Sunday, July 1, 2007

A Run for the Border... the Mississippi Border, That Is

Me: A Taco Bell!
Sweetie: I don't see it.
Me: Up there!
Sweetie: Where do you see this Taco Bell? How can you see it all the way up there?
Me: When it comes to Taco Bell, I always know.

Ahhh, what a great day. We hung out on the beach in Biloxi by the Beau Rivage Casino all afternoon. I brought a book and a towel, but ended up being so excited by the prospect of the beach that I never cracked the book and just spent hours in the water instead. It only took a little over an hour to get there, door to door, and I-10 drops you off right on the beach. It's so easy! I don't see why we shouldn't go back next week! Beach beach beach!

Of course there aren't really waves... and it was very sad to realize that the reason there's no "stuff" (food shacks, piers, buildings in general) is because it hasn't been rebuilt yet after Katrina. It's very surreal. You see these acres and acres of beachfront property that's just scrub land with For Sale signs and chunks of concrete, and you think, "This property must be worth a fortune. How come no one's built-- Oh." It looks every bit as bad as here, which came as a surprise to me.

Being used to the beaches in New England, I think the water in the Gulf is a little on the warm side for my tastes... like tepid bathwater. But whatever. There was a fresh breeze, and we ended up getting surprisingly more sun than we expected. On the way back, we took Highway 90, which runs along the water and has an amazing view. I highly recommend it if you've got a couple hours to kill.

Plus there was a Taco Bell.*



* Post-K all the Taco Bells pulled out of New Orleans proper. This is EXTREMELY upsetting to me. Taco Bell is my only hangover food. There are some days when I need chalupas to live. I grab the wheel and peel off the road when I see a Taco Bell that's open.

10 comments:

Luke said...

My favourite hangover food is Lambs Fry. Does that make me a monster?

Sadie said...

My favorite hangover food is Wendy's. If the hangover is REALLY bad, I get mashed potatoes from KFC.

Girl, you don't need waves! This from a girl who has spent all but 2 of my "beach" experiences in the Gulf at Destin.

That is sad about the lack of rebuilding. At least the casinos are back. Or are they?

Sadie said...

Oh crap. I was just thinking of coming back to comment again and say that Taco Bell is really my still-drunk food.

Then I started thinking how much it would suck to NOT have a Taco Bell.

Then I started thinking about Aspen.

And how there's no Taco Bell there.

:(

NOLADawn said...

Yep, Taco Bell (which we still have TWO of on the "Bestbank" is my still drunk food. Hangover food is a shrimp poboy, all that grease soaks up the remaining booze.

Was it really crowded with the Hard Rock Casino reopening?

Sarah said...

It didn't seem crowded to me... but I'm not sure where exactly the Hard Rock is.

And, oh yes, I frequent the Taco Bells in Belle Chasse and Algiers whenever I find myself in that area.

Sarah said...

Sadie-- The Taco Bell that used to be up the street before the apocalypse was open all night... it was good still drunk food too. But I think of it as hangover food because when I was in college the nearest one was at the mall half an hour away. Which wouldn't have been a good idea while still drunk but was an excellent trip the day after.

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Do y'all have Fries Supreme at your TB locations? It's probably the most popular item at the Ontario locations. But when we were in Ohio we tried to order Fries Supreme there and they looked at us like we had three heads.

achoo... kdqzhtt

Tina said...

In Somerville (on the other side of the Charles in Boston) there is what I like to call a Kentucky Fried Taco Bell--it is a Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken rolled into one. Perhaps the BEST idea ever and MUST have been conceived by some drunken Harvard or MIT student suffering from cronic hangover syndrome. You can get soft tacos and buttery biscuits all in one go...

NOLADawn said...

Tina, we have one of those left here in NOLA :) It's just too far for Sarah, but it's down the street from where I'll be teaching!

Sarah said...

FWG-- I don't think we have fries supreme! I love how there's regional stuff even at chain restaurants. If I recall, the McDonalds's in Ontario have some different stuff too.

Tina-- We have a Kentucky Fried Taco Bell in my hometown. My old Taco Bell was at Louisiana and Claiborne, which was less than 5 minutes from my house. But the West Bank and Jefferson parish, while easy to drive to, aren't quite close enough for me to go JUST for Taco Bell. Now I just go to Roly Poly, which I love and is better for me... but some days I need a chalupa. Oh! And actually, there's a Taco Bell in the Tulane student center, or there was, which is walkable from my house, but it isn't a full Taco Bell. It doesn't have chalupas, therefore is not worth going to. :-P