Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Lest You Say Waitstaff Are Burnouts

I suspect many people took the first part of this week as a long weekend, since they have the day off tomorrow for the 4th of July anyway, so the restaurant was less than busy yesterday at lunch. Therefore everyone was reading a book.

I was impressed by the variety of books being read. One server was reading Little Children, by Tom Perrotta. Someone else was reading a script for a play she was in. Another was reading Manifesta: Young Women, Feminism, and the Future. That's, ya know, some pretty good reading material.

Where was I in this equation, you ask? I was bringing up the rear with InStyle Magazine.

Speaking of books, there are three I need to have this summer: Ragamuffin by Tobias Buckell, Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, and the new Harry Potter. The only one out thus far is Ragamuffin (it's a sort-of sequel to Crystal Rain, which was one of my favorite books from last year), which I'm not hugely desperate about buying this second because Tobias Buckell has 1/3 of it on his website as a sampler, and I haven't finished reading those chapters yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy the book. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage authors from putting up free samples, because I loooove free samples. Also, from what I've checked out so far, the book looks great. (If you want to get in on the free sample action, read the first 1/3 of Ragamuffin here.) But that's three books in hardcover and there's that whole me having zero dollars thing.

I just remembered I have that free book coupon from SFBC though. Hmmm... I must choose, but choose wisely.

4 comments:

Sadie said...

Wow, I'm impressed with your co-workers. I need to read more, I'm so ashamed of myself. I'm actually half way through an ACTUAL BOOK right now. It's chick lit, but IT'S A BOOK.

I'm proud of myself. :)

NOLADawn said...

Nice reading there! Before I start reading my books for the Southern Reading Challenge that I signed up for I'm trying to finish up the Evanovich series. I read Nine and Ten over the weekend. Then it's Southern Lit for me. (But, I did read the latest OK magazine last night :P)

Sarah said...

I hope you don't have to read Faulkner... shudder...

Just kidding. I think my boyfriend wrote his master's thesis on Faulkner. That doesn't mean I don't think As I Lay Dying wasn't three hours of my freshman life I really, really want back.

NOLADawn said...

No, this is a blogging challenge, so I got to pick my books :)
My list is on my blog, but no Faulkner!!