A Really Amazing Article About Race in SF/F
http://www.infinitematrix.net/faq/essays/noles.html
But I remember Dad saying, how come you never see anybody like that in the stories you like? And I remember answering, maybe they didn't have black people back then. He said there's always been black people. I said but black people can't be wizards and space people and they can't fight evil, so they can't be in the story. When he didn't say anything back I turned around. He was in full recline mode in his chair and he was very still, looking at me. He didn't say anything else.A thought-provoking and, at times, sad read. Someone posted the link at Iris Network, and I was very struck by it.
1 comment:
I was reading some old fantasy-type poetry I'd written - bard song or what not. This poem had to do with the birth of the ultimate human species, superior to all previous. I was shocked to read the line "Fair skinned were they and golden locked" written by my own hand. I hadn't even thought about what I was saying. I just needed a rhyme for "heroic stock". What can I say? I'm ashamed.
Post a Comment