When Fanboys Attack: ASOIAF Version
I posted on Hathor Legacy today about the rampant Brienne hatred among George R.R. Martin's fans.
There is a disconnect between the way male characters described by Martin as ugly (and there are lots) are regarded by fans, and how Brienne is regarded. To illustrate how ridiculous the bias is, consider the example of the POV character Tyrion.
Tyrion is a vastly popular character. He is also a dwarf, with a giant mass of scar tissue where his nose used to be. In a recent book, he was placed in an arranged marriage to a 13-year-old girl who wouldn't consummate the marriage because she was terrified of how ugly he was. I have actually seen many posters say, "OMG I hate Sansa! What a ___. How could she do that to Tyrion he's all kinds of awesome, I hope she gets raped by a ____." And then they'll be like, "I think Martin should hook Tyrion up with (insert beautiful female character) or (insert beautiful female character)." Yet if someone mentions Brienne hooking up with someone, anyone, there's an outcry of fan eeeeew that derails entire threads.
Yeah. Because every beautiful woman wants to have sex with a noseless dwarf just because it's your favorite character. But an unattractive woman doesn't deserve love.
The rest is here.
No comments:
Post a Comment