Thursday, May 10, 2007

Why Watching Office Space Was Exactly What I Needed

Peter: It doesn't really matter. I, uh, I don't like my job. And I don't think I'm gonna go anymore.
Joanna: You're just not going to go?
Peter: Yeah.
Joanna: Won't you get fired?
Peter: I don't know. But I really don't like it. And I'm not gonna go.
Joanna: So you're going to quit?
Peter: Uh-uh. Not really. I'm just going to stop going.

Manager: Joanna, we need to talk. Do you know what this is about?
Joanna: My, ah, flair?
Manager: Or your lack of flair, because I'm counting and I only see fifteen pieces. Let me ask you a question, Joanna. What do you think of a person who only does the bare minimum?
Joanna: Huh, what do I think? You know what, Stan? If you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair like your pretty boy over there, Brian, why don't you make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?
Manager: Well, I thought I remembered you saying you wanted to express yourself.
Joanna: Yeah. You know what? Yeah, I do. I do want to express myself, OK? And I don't need 37 pieces of flair to do it? (Gives him the finger.) All right? There's my flair, OK? And this is me, expressing MY-SELF! I hate this job! I hate this goddamn job and I don't need it!

4 comments:

Sadie said...

Exactly.

I so love that movie.

It's not that I'm lazy. It's that I just don't care.

Tina said...

That is by FAR my favorite moment from that movie. I think at one point I rewound and watched it a minimum of 10 or 11 times.... at least. Having "been there, done that" in those types of jobs, it always cracks me up how seriously some people take them. It's minimum wage, dude, MINIMUM WAGE.

Sarah said...

I think I'm going to call them up and say, "Yeeaaaaahhhhh... I'm gonna go ahead and not come in tonight. And I'm gonna go ahead and not come in this weekend either. Mmmm-kay?"

NOLADawn said...

LOVE that movie!