Take This Job and Shove It
So I drove down to Magazine Street, paced up and down in the sun making phone calls to a few of my friends while I waited for the lunch rush to be over, and then walked into ___ at 2:00. I asked, were they hiring? The girl at the desk said she didn't know about servers, but they desperately needed greeters, and she would get the manager. Lo and behold the manager walks out of the kitchen at that moment.
"Never mind," I say, grinning. "I know him." And here it is, the big moment. Where my luck changes. Because he also used to work at That Place, last year, and is now the GM of this particular restaurant. He says he needs a greeter like you would not believe, and hires me on the spot. Some of their servers will probably be leaving for the summer in a few weeks, and I can work at the door until then.
"I'll start you at $10 an hour. How far away do you live? Go home, put on a black shirt, and come back in an hour, and you can work tonight."
"Seriously?"
"I'm not kidding."
I said I was scheduled to work at _____ tonight.
"F@$* 'em," he said.
So I called ______ and told them I wasn't coming in tonight, nor ever. And then I worked the dinner shift at my new job. In tight black pants and a cute shirt. And it was everything I thought it could be. :-)
4 comments:
Good for you...remember the positive aura that you feel when something is right?
mom
Yes, and also it's just a younger hipper crowd there, more laid back. I saw two people I knew just working the door there in one night! Seems like it will be much more fun for my summer, even if I have to take a paycut at first.
Awesome. It was obviously meant to be!
YAY SARAH!
Good for you. I'm just imagining the smile that broke out on your face when you saw that manager.
I hope you LOVE it!
Post a Comment