Thursday, May 17, 2007

Freaking Out, In Financial Ruin

I'm really not kidding.

Apparently the payment for my student health insurance that I sent back in the beginning of the fall semester never went through, and for some reason I was never enrolled. So, unbeknownst to me, I haven't had health insurance the entire year. I just found this out yesterday when my claim was denied.

And I'm now on the hook for almost $3,700 in medical bills from when I went to the E.R. in March.

I am freaking out.

I obviously do not and will not in the near future have $3,700 to pay this bill with. I would never have gone to the E.R. if I wasn't insured.

Full state of panic here. I do not know what to do. Preparing to spend my morning tracking down the paper trail of what the hell happened here.

Update: So I called Touro and the lovely, lovely lady in the accounts department reduced my bill down to $2,100. That puts me in slightly less financial ruin. Sigh.

9 comments:

NOLADawn said...

Good luck! Most hospitals will work with you on a payment plan if you can't get it straightened out.

Tina said...

Oh friend! Crossing my fingers for you...

Sarah said...

I am very... stressed... out.

Sadie said...

Holy shit. Good luck! Maybe you can find out why you never got enrolled and get it retroactively fixed? Or is that completely impossible?

Sue 'em. Yeah, that's it.

Anonymous said...

Did you pay by check or credit card? For either one, it should have shown up on your statement. That would be proof that you paid. If you paid with cash, you should have a receipt. Good luck.

Sarah said...

I paid my boyfriend cash and he put it on his credit card, but also paid several thousand dollars for travel and other business expenses that month, so he assumed it went through. It in fact did not, so there is nothing I can do about it now.

Tina said...

Awww shit! That totally sucks! I would totally write them (them being both the school and the credit card company) a letter or confront them and ask why the hell this charge didn't go through. That's seriously effed up.

Sarah said...

Looks like it was lost in the wonderful New Orleans mail.

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Do you have lawyers around there that offer 30-minute free consultation? Maybe it would be worth a try?