Friday, April 13, 2007

I Hate You, Rock of New Orleans

OK, I'm back again. This is my day off, and I'm working on a short story on the computer anyway, so it is apparently also a blogging day. I have to rant about 104.1 The Rock of New Orleans. I have had it with this station's persistent sexism. It drives me up a friggin' wall. Mike claims he listens to the station all the time and doesn't hear anything misogynistic. I'm like, you must have a higher tolerance level than me, or just be oblivious because you aren't female. Because just now in the car I CLEARLY HEARD them play the tagline, "The Rock of New Orleans: good music, hot chicks." And you cannot tell me that is appropriate to use as a tagline for your radio station. You cannot. There's another slogan that says something about "T&A," which I've also heard. And really, a visit to their website is all you need to confirm everything I'm saying. It's like the thought that they might have female listeners never occurred to them, or it did, and they just decided to ignore us.

I think I'm going to write them a nasty letter. They'd probably just roll their eyes and say, "Go listen to the Diva." Because that is the kind of guy (clearly it is a guy) I imagine runs the station. But I don't want to listen to Diva 92.3, because I don't like the music. I don't like pop, I like 90's rock. Both my exes listened to The Diva, the "girly" station, and I don't remember either of them having to deal with offensive content. I don't understand why there's a need to "gender" a radio station at all. Hello, it's radio. Shouldn't it be about the music? Exactly how are "hot chicks" relevant to the radio format? YOU CAN'T SEE PEOPLE OVER THE RADIO. And shouldn't there, you know, not be porn on a professional business website?

Why don't you boycott them, you ask? Why don't you not listen to the station if it makes you foam at the mouth?

I think this is what pisses me off the most. Because 104.1 and Bayou 95.7 are the only two stations I like. I love the music 104.1 plays. It puts me in a really uncomfortable position. I've sort of made this compromise with myself where, when a song stops and the talking starts, I immediately switch stations to keep myself from getting all worked up. But I'm still offended and I don't like it.

P.S. I also hate the two entitled Uptown mommy-types who double-parked their two unnecessarily giant Lexus SUVs next to me in the parking lot at Roly Poly so I could barely get out of my spot. First of all, why don't you just kill some baby seals while you're at it? Second, here's a thought: if you were both going to Roly Poly, each with ONE small child, why didn't you just ride together? Because I'm perfectly sure four people can fit in one of those monster vehicles, and then the rest of us wouldn't have to seethe because you've blocked off most of a tiny parking lot. And I thought going out of the house would be good for my mood. Heh! :-P

5 comments:

mW said...

Firstly, I never said I never heard anything misogynistic on 104.1. Rather, I said it's not that bad. As a non-traditional male who hates getting bracketed by any societal stricture, I get annoyed when they're like, "dudes don't do that that. That's why chicks suck," or whatever crap occasionally may slip out. Those are stereotypes and suck.

However, as for the "hot chicks" or "t&a" stuff, let's be honest, it's sex drugs and rock n roll, not misogyny. And I don't say that because I'm saying objectifying women is cool, but rather if you listen to the female djs, they post pictures of hot guys on the site too, and talk like it. So the girls like guys, the guys like girls-clearly it's not aimed a gay audience-but it's selling sex en masse, not out to target women for being degraded.

And who are we to complain about scantily clad members of the sex we find attractive, when combined with blistering 90s rock?

Sarah said...

I don't want sex being sold to me. I want to listen to Pearl Jam.

I am going to agree to respectfully disagree with you over this. Even though you live here. But you knew that anyway.

Anonymous said...

I will probably never hear that radio station, but I have to agree with Sarah that their web site is over the top, no pun intended. I would go so far as to say it could be classifed as porn. I don't see the connection to a radio station, or to music. That is not the kind of web site the radio stations around here have!

NOLADawn said...

The downfall of music in NOLA is the reason we went to satellite radio and then just gave that up altogether and went to the iPod in the car... now I can listen to all the 80s and 90s I want without anyone talking whatsoever :)

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

I've had to give up on any radio up here. It's all become a wasteland of false art. The same pathetic crowd of idiot DJ's keep getting shuffled from one station to the next and they're all morons who are only good at talking and having never shut their mouths their whole lives, have learned nothing of value. Misogyny and sexism are just two variations of the rampant stupidity. When I feel I need the radio on from time to time I choose news radio. Rather hear bullshit from intelligent bullshitters then simple-minded idiotness. Sounds like you need satelite radio!