Thursday, April 12, 2007

For Those of Us Who Spend Time Wondering About Scintillating Topics Such As What the Foliage on Other Planets Looks Like

From Whatever, I just got the fascinating news that plants on other planets might not be green! Apparently it has to do with what type of star that particular solar system has. I didn't picture other planets as all looking like ours, but it's nice to have scientific evidence to back that up.

However, it also states that it is unlikely plants on other planets will be blue, since plants absorbing blue light apparently happens pretty much across the board. Personally, I am kind of sad about this. I have love for the color blue. I want a blue tree in my yard.

The ocean in my novel is green, not blue. Now I'm wondering if I need to look that up. A responsible writer, I think, would.

Also, I threatened to quit my job tonight, burst into tears (which I'm now regretting, because it makes me look like a wimp, when the truth is that this is ONLY something I do when I've been keeping my hatred of a situation inside me for weeks, or in this case months, until something snaps, which means that my tears are almost always tears of extreme, extreme frustration, rather than tears of "I didn't like what you just said, wah"... I wish there was a way to put a label on my face saying THIS IS ANGER just so people were clear on the point), and had a freak-out over the fact that I haven't been making money there lately. I made less than $10 an hour tonight, and I cannot live on that. I'm stressed. I owe medical bills, taxes, and traffic tickets currently.

Also, there is a giant cat-sized rat that inhabits the trash room/parking lot of the restaurant, of the type that causes even manly kitchen men to scatter in fear. And it is gross. Seriously, it is exactly Starbuck's size, except of course with shorter legs and a skinnier tail.

I don't really want to talk about work, though. Or the giant rat. I need to drink heavily and watch Battlestar Galactica Firefly. (On second thought, a show that begins with the nuking of human civilization might not be the best idea.)

4 comments:

Sadie said...

oh, honey, I feel your pain. I do that too-- I always cry when I'm pissed. And it always just pisses me off more...

And I rented Battlestar Galactica (the miniseries) to watch this weekend to get started catching up. Never seen it. Thought you'd be proud of me. ;)

Sarah said...

See, I can continue my trend of making people watch what I watch. I'm apparently good at it. :-)

Bryan said...

So I'm a plant nerd and clicked on that article you had linked to. Apparently there was an extra "http" in the link, so it thinks it links to "http", and when you type just "http" in the address bar you get the Wikipedia entry for Hypertext Transfer Protocol. Confused as I was at first, after I checked what the link was it all made sense. I found irony in the fact that the average surfer (OK maybe not YOUR average blog reader) wouldn't know what's going on and yet they are sent directly to the source of the problem. Anyways. Dead link. Or decidedly not....

Sarah said...

Oops. So there is an extra http. I thought I checked it.