Tuesday, February 13, 2007

More Tornado

I'm not about to walk over there with my camera and check it out because it would be horribly disrespectful and tacky, but here are some photos from the Times Picayune of the damage in the Carrollton area this morning. This is one mile from our apartment. I can hear a lot of sirens from my house, going back and forth. Apparently we are lucky to have power, because a whole chunk of Uptown on the other side of Tulane from us, up through Mid City, is knocked out and they're saying it will be days. Eerily, just like after Katrina, it is a gorgeous day outside, 75 and sunny with a bit of a breeze gusting through still.

I had seven or eight phone calls this morning while I was at work. So yes, I AM okay. It was a mile away and we didn't even have wind damage here. I somehow slept through the whole thing. It hit around 3:00 AM, and I had passed out at 1:30 after working a double shift, so I was dead to the world. Apparently people further away than us heard the tornado, but I missed it. Don't ask me how I managed to miss hail. (I slept through an earthquake once my junior year at St. Lawrence. What can I say? I like my sleep.) I feel very sorry for these people, many of whom probably just spent hundreds of thousands of dollars fixing their houses after Katrina.



3 comments:

Sadie said...

That's so awful. I hope the insurance companies won't be able to weasel out of paying their claims for this.

Sarah said...

I don't know what I'd do if I had to go without utilities again, let alone had property damage. Those poor people.

Tinsie said...

OMG that's awful. Glad to hear you're OK.