Thirteen Things About Me and Sorority Life
1. I was a Chi Omega.
2. I didn't pledge until my junior year, because I thought I was the kind of girl who hated sororities on principle. They had to give me 2 bids before I gave in.
3. My nickname was Flounder. Because we all had nicknames from Animal House, and it was someone's idea of a good joke. Hmph. I more often went by my last name, though, or Sketchy T.
4. We used to have a Super Secret Midnight Event that culminated in several of us going to the bar in our pajamas. But if I told you what it was, I'd have to kill you.
5. I have a pair of Chi Omega handcuffs. I like to tell guys this. They're from our Screw Your Sister semi-formal, a lovely event where your friends picked your date for you and then handcuffed you together for the night. Luckily, mine picked my friend Packy, and we chugged 3/4 of a Nalgene of Jim Beam in the bus before we even got there. Debauchery ensued.
6. After Katrina, Chi O alums singlehandedly furnished my temporary apartment in Boston.
7. And clothed me. Mike was impressed and a bit scared at the volume of boxes arriving daily.
8. Epsilon Kappa House Corp also mailed me a much-needed $500! I was supremely grateful. I love everyone in Chi O! Love!
9. The Epsilon Kappa chapter is having their 25th anniversary in two weeks. I can't go to the festivities because I'm going to be at a wedding in Rochester. It really sucks that I'm going to be so close-- actually in the state of New York-- and miss it. I am especially bummed about missing the party at the Hoot.
10. A sorority is a great thing to join if you like T-shirts. I have about 10 Chi O T-shirts. Of course I still wear them around. After Katrina, the house sent me... more T-shirts! Oh, and glassware. You should join a sorority if you like glassware too. Although I wish I hosted more social occasions that call for my giant glass Senior Banquet beer pitcher...
11. We had an intramural team. Our motto was "REFUSE TO LOSE, PREFER TO BOOZE."
12. My favorite songs were the ones about drinking beer. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to repeat them here, or if they're also super-secret. At inopportune moments (like at Rush when we had to hide anything alcoholic), I was apt to break out into the beer songs. Also, I used to flash the house during serious ceremonies.
13. I was famous for doing really weird things, sometimes when completely sober. Sometimes not. At meeting every Sunday we gave out joke awards. For example, I have in my scrapbook right here The Holiday Spirit Award, which I received in March for finding our Christmas wreath (which Beta had stolen months earlier) in a snowbank in the street, getting freaked out because I thought it was a dead animal, then putting it around my neck and wearing it home. I was wearing a purple bedsheet toga at the time as well. As my friend Nellie once said, "And then there are people like Sarah, who always get awards because they do stupid shit every weekend."
I'll leave you on that note.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
12 comments:
Sounds like good memories....
Happy TT!
i have enough sorority tshirts to clothe a small army. :) I want to make a tshirt quilt out of them one day (correction, have someone else make me a quilt.(
You apparently went to undergrad someplace more fun than I did... none of our sorority functions were nearly that exciting. But the band parties, that's a different story.
I have a schmillion sorority t-shirts! And I was only one for two years before they kicked me out. But that's another story for another time. ;)
Happy TT, hope you're feeling better!
Wow. Your list brought back some sorority days for me, too. Sorry about missing the party. Bummer.
I've posted my Thursday Thirteen, too. Enjoy! ;)
I was never in a sorority, sounds like you had a lot of fun. Love the pic! I love to make people laugh, so sounds like something I would do. Happy TT!
I can almost guarantee that the beer songs are not super secret, just super silly ;) or stolen from English Soccer fans. Nice List though.
Haha! I know for a fact at least one of them comes from English soccer, with different words.
Your list could be the 13 reasons why I should have joined a siority.
Great list. My sister in law is Chi Omega and we had a chapter at my school
fun fun, I love how they took care of you after katrina
Dude... I think a lot of our house was girls who scorned sorority. which is why (for the most part) it was fun. and why when it was frustrating, it was frustrating beyond belief.
i wish we had been there at the same time... i think we would've been two pea in one sketchy pod.
I made a quilt out of my sorority t-shirts... it's huge, btw :)
Post a Comment