Friday, October 13, 2006

Scaredy Cat

I think it's time to face the truth. My cat is a wimp.

I don't know, I guess I really thought he'd be calmer this time with people in the house. It has been five months since the last time we had guests here. Back then, he didn't let me pick him up. Now he does. So he is a semi-adaptable fellow. But today he is hiding under the bed, with his eyes round and his sad little head rested on his paws. I dragged him out, but some men unloading a truck made a noise next door, and he shot back under. When he's not under the bed, he's curled up on my pillow, making himself into as tiny a ball as he can manage. He won't go out in the living room, where Mike's parents are. He keeps slinking around with his butt low to the floor. And shedding clumps of white fur on the rug. He is truly terrified.

I feel so awful for my poor Jolee. When is he going to realize that, just because people are not me, they don't necessarily want to kill him? I think he needs a kitty psychologist.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Jolee! Merlin hides from everyone, too, and he's never lived through a Hurricane. He only really likes me, and sometimes my hubby but mostly just me.

Sarah said...

Jolee only likes me. I guess some cats are just that way.

Anonymous said...

He probably does have a little PTD. And he'll probably never really bond with anyone but you. You're lucky he lets you pick him up! I adopted a semi-feral about six months ago and she's friendly, loves people, loves to play, but won't come anywhere near people space. She won't lay on my bed, she'll only let me pet her if she's on her cat tree and forget even trying to pick her up!

Poor Jolee though...

Sarah said...

Mike yells at the cat, "Stop running away from me!" And then he runs away even faster!

Jolee did show himself last night. He crept out and sat under the table next to me, so that was progress.