Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Not Living In New Orleans Privilege

You know how they have lists like the Male Privilege Checklist or the White Privilege Checklist? The point of these lists is that they are framed in a way that makes the reader think about what privileged people don't have to deal with on a daily basis. For example, two statements on the Male Privilege Checklist are "I am not taught to fear walking alone after dark in average public spaces," and "If I choose not to have children, my masculinity will not be called into question." If you are among the privileged set, these statements are supposed to make you think critically about what the non-privileged portion of the population has to deal with, and what you can do to stop the perpetuation of privilege. For instance, before I read the White Privilege Checklist, many of the little discriminations non-white people have to deal with had honestly never occurred to me. It's meant to be an eye-opener.

I think someone ought to write a "Not Living In New Orleans Privilege Checklist." Hell, maybe I will. One of the items could be, "Every time I order from Amazon, I am not subjected to this message:"

Your order is being sent to an area recently affected by Hurricane Katrina. We estimate that delivery of your shipment may be delayed up to 10 days or more. Click here for more information.


Because really. This message is starting to irritate me.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Well, I didn't point this out, but the silliest part about it is they don't really need ten. Stuff usually comes in 4 or 5 days, unless the mail on our end is having one of its days when it doesn't feel like delivering.

Really, the message isn't even accurate anymore, but no one's bothered to remove it and I still have to look at it and be reminded, "Hey, Katrina happened! And mail may take forever!" Like I don't already know.