Leaving on a Jet Plane
I am in Rochester, NY for the next two days. My cat is home alone. I am FREAKED OUT. :-( I think I have separation anxiety. I am just going to vent this here because Mike says he is sick of hearing about the cat and if I mention him one more time he is going to cook him into mu shu jolee. (Um, OK, I realize this sounds slightly cruel to the uninitiated... we just have this running joke about him taking the cat to Five Happiness to have him cooked into Chinese food. Not that Five Happiness puts cats in their food, because they have excellent food, and besides, we know the family so we really ought not to make such jokes, but I digress.) Anyway, I left him with plenty of food and water. I know lots of people just say "whatever" about leaving the cat 2-3 days alone, and I know my family did it all the time when I was growing up, but I can't help but have horrible thoughts. At Christmas I am definitely hiring the petsitter... though it will be a waste of money, because I'm sure he will hide from them. Strangers make him shed and panic. But at least there will be someone who can peek under the futon and make sure he's all right. I am just worried he thinks we have left him forever and won't come back, like his other people.
OK. Now I'm taking a deep breath and doing something else. Oh, and no Thursday Thirteen today, because I was too busy getting up at the buttcrack of dawn and being in airports. If you would like to comment and list "13 Reasons Why Sarah is Overreacting and Jolee Will Not Choke on His Food, Get Electrocuted, or Drown Himself In the Toilet," it would go far to reassure me.
5 comments:
Jolee will be fine. But I can relate. I have to leave Princess Buttercup and Wesley alone for 2-3 days every other week when I'm traveling for work. I get worried about them. He'll be fine!!
He'll be just fine. He'll be overjoyed to see you when you come home (unless he just gets really pissed - he could go either way...). ;-) Kidding. Halfway.
I do understand what you are going through, however. I insist on a pet sitter and my husband just nods and smiles. Our cats are a little less afraid of strangers, though, and adore our pet sitter. So, really, it's not a waste of money. Just knowing they're not bored (and so avoid climbing the curtains/shredding the comforter) while we are away is worth every cent. :-)
I didn't want to be one of "those people" who read your blog and then don't let you know. I actually read your whole blog today and I just wanted to thank you for sharing!
Lauren
(my cats have blogs not me ;) thus I found you through Sadie's cat, Merlin)
Jolee will be fine and THRILLED to see you when you get home, lots of purrs. But I'm going away this weekend too and I got a cat sitter anyway.
Thanks, everyone! I have calmed down. He will probably just sleep. :-) I decided against having someone come over for such a short time away, because he just got over being subjected to strangers last week. I thought it might freak him out more, and it was only 2.5 days. He is just going to have to deal at Xmas, though, because I'll be gone a whole week and I want someone to check in every day. The petsitter I am looking at comes over to meet your pets before you go, and I am hoping he doesn't freak out and decides he can deal with her.
P.S. And Jolee has never destroyed the house, except for chewing on our cords, so I don't think he will. But we closed the office so he couldn't take his boredom out on our electronics... just in case. Mike has not forgiven me for his Ipod.
Post a Comment