Friday, August 25, 2006

"Do you want to--?" "No."

So the Charlie's Angels movie is sort of fluffy and fun, if you're into a non-challenging evening of movie watching. But even fluffy movies can have their moments. To wit: there is a moment in this movie that absolutely epitomizes my average going out experience. I was reminded of it tonight.

It's the scene where they go undercover at a swanky party. The Lucy Liu character is standing by herself, when a guy approaches her.

He says, "Do you want to--"
She cuts him off, "No."
"We could--"
"No."
Bu--"
"No."

And throughout the whole exchange, she's standing there, nonchalant and almost bored, with a completely straight face. This is exactly what happens to me when I go out. Yeah, all right, I know both sides of the coin, if you will pardon the crappy cliched metaphor because it is 4:49 AM. I was the ugly unpopular girl in high school. However, it gets really old when, now that I'm the pretty girl, guys assume that just because I'm there and I have makeup on and I'm in a cute outfit, I automatically want to talk to them.

Just--

"No."

Someone asked me tonight if I was a sophomore, too. I didn't know what to say. "I wish"? I was a sophomore once. I was a sophomore in 2000. Impossible that that was six years ago. I want it back. I want to have it all back.

No comments: