Saturday, July 29, 2006

This Weekend's Mission, If I Choose To Accept It

Learn CSS.

I should mention that Mike is done taking the Louisiana bar. I'm sure he passed, so congratulations to him! We celebrated last night by getting Thai food at Basil Leaf, and then passing leisurely humid hours on the patio at St. Joe's. This morning I made cinnamon buns, which we have just finished eating after a nice long sleep-in (strangely uninterrupted by Jolee-- thanks, Jolee, for being quiet and not flopping on my head as per usual! My kitty's so sweet).

I have my laptop back now, and it's time to pick up the task I was dabbling with earlier in the week. I am designing a new web site. I hope to do this all by myself, without a template and without a program. Well, I use Ace HTML, which is freeware. But I generally just write the code myself as you would in a text editor, and use the software to preview what I've done. I am not the most advanced web designer, but I do enjoy creating graphics (I use Gimp, also freeware, but it can pretty much do the stuff that PSP can do-- man, I am just cheap, cheap, cheap) and learning new things. My relationship with computers... how would I describe it? I don't have an engineer's or programmer's gift for seeing how things work. What I do have is incredible internet savvy, an ability to pick things up quickly and re-adapt them, and a huge bag of tricks. Really, if you know a lot of tricks, most people will think you know a lot, because let's face it, the number of people who do have that sort of in-depth knowledge is small.

Working off a tutorial, here is what I've come up with so far. Please note that it doesn't do anything yet, nor are the colors in place, because I need to make a header banner before I pick the color scheme, so what I've got there is pure randomness. This is me playing. I'm probably not even going to keep the bg image. But I learned to make boxes, which was exciting. And I like that things stay where you put them, without having to mess around with tables. My first site had frames. Then my ex-boyfriend told me I should use tables, and reworked my site for me. And I learned tables. Now, from the reading I've been doing, it appears that the use of tables for layout is going to become obsolete.

Anyway, off I go to play freely in the internet universe...

No comments: