Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Thirteen Things I Hate About the Star Wars Prequels

Thursday Thirteen

(Boba Fett says: I pity da fool who likes the Prequel Trilogy!)

People who were around for the thirteen reasons I hate the Star Wars Special Editions probably know what they are in for. It is SO MUCH FUN to rant on topics about which one is knowledgeable. And, well. I know Star Wars. Oh, I know Star Wars. I know it to a degree that induces strangers to suggest that I need to go out of doors more often. So believe me when I say that all the hate I am about to dispense, I dispense out of love. Pardon me if I begin to foam at the mouth in a geekly frenzy. And when you are finished, go down to the post below and tell Jolee Bindo he is pretty. Thank you. With that said, here goes:

1. Jar Jar Binks. You knew it was coming, so let's just get that one over with and move on to the real meat of the hate.

2. How Padme died of a broken heart and lost the will to live. Oh come on. Seriously? Seriously? The woman was married to Darth Vader. One would think Lucas could come up with something more interesting and less... Victorian... than dying in childbirth of a broken heart.

3. Padme. A feminist deconstruction of Padme follows: She sucks. She is a decorative yawn of a useless female character who doesn't do anything. Really, you have to wonder where her daughter got her spunk from, 'cause damn.

4. The dialogue was lame. Especially the cringe-inducing "romance" dialogue in Attack of the Clones.

5. Continuity errors. "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?" Luke asks Leia in Return of the Jedi. And then you have her die in childbirth. Oh sure, people try to hedge around it and come up with wacky theories (she remembers because they spoke in the womb using the Force, Leia thought Luke meant her mother on Alderaan, blah blah), but let's just admit what it really is: it's a huge glaring hole in the story that didn't have to happen.

6. One of my favorite aspects of settings like the original Star Wars and the Firefly 'verse is the lived-in rusted-out look. Lucas wanted it that way originally, because it made space different and fresh and real. Why he gave it up I do not know. The problem with CGI is if you use the right amount, impossible things come to life before the viewers' eyes. Use too much of it, everything looks fake. The prequels look fake to me.

7. There is a poop joke in The Phantom Menace. I think this is one of those things I'll never get over.

8. That creature with the lips in Jabba's Palace! I hate that thing!... Oh, fine, you got me, that was in the Special Edition. I am raving. I admit it. But I hate that thing with the diamond shaped head in the pod race. I hate that thing too, and it also lives on Tattooine, so #8 on my 13 has not been completely wasted.

9. Why did we even need to have Anakin as a little kid? Lord, that was annoying. Can we say marketing gimmick? Can we say merchandising? ("Moychandising! Moychandising! They put the picture's name on everything! Spaceballs the Lunch Box! Spaceballs the Breakfast Cereal!") But here's the little secret Lucas and his crew must have missed. News flash: I was five when I saw Star Wars for the first time. I still remember it. I loved it at first sight. Were there any kids in the original Star Wars? No, there were not. But ask my generation and the Gen Xers whether it mattered to them.

10. Pandering to the fans. They liked Boba Fett? Put him in! They liked C3PO and R2? Put them in! They liked Chewbacca? Put him in! Never mind that this is all highly, highly implausible in terms of plot.

11. Oh! Speaking of which (geez, get me going and off I go! I'm on a roll!), if Anakin Skywalker built 3PO and he and Artoo tagged around with the main characters for the ENTIRETY OF THE PREQUELS, why would Ben Kenobi not recognize them in Star Wars?

12. It didn't feel like Star Wars to me. To borrow a term from writers' workshops, it didn't "work." Nobody's motivations "worked" for me because we never got more than a superficial feel for the characters. Especially Anakin. He came across as more of a whiny teenager than a real villain. It was disappointing. It could have been so much more. This really came home to me in November, when I started playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. How come a video game felt more like classic Star Wars to me than the prequel trilogy? It seems like sacrilege. But they just got the atmosphere spot-on. The prequel trilogies, and the Clone Wars plot in general, felt like the sort of plot I would come up with when I was tired and out of ideas, patched together from a bunch of crap in my head, that I would edit the hell out of later, when I felt more inspired, because the story was lame and lacked spice.

13. Crap. No more space in the 13 and so much hate left to dispense! Yet, I feel benevolent tonight, so I will now dispense some love. I love Aayla Secura. Love. Her. And she was in the prequels. So there. If only we'd had more hot blue Twi'lek Jedi and less Jar Jar, it would all have been shiny.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!






12 comments:

Tracie Nall said...

A great Hate/Love list!!
On Anakin as a kid, I totally agree-and that kid was annoying.

My TT is up!

Meira{FB} said...

Ja Ja Binks = annoying!

Loved the list! Happy Thursday!

Carmen said...

you get thirteen "amens" from me. Why would you mess with a good thing, when the last thing you need is more money.

Raggedy said...

My son loved the movie.
Good list.
My TT is up

armywife said...

great list; i agree with all of it. my childhood centered on the original movies and i could barely sit through the new ones. #13 really cracked me up, so much hate left to dispense.

my 13 are up too at my new blog
http://www.everythingshouldbefun.blogspot.com

Knitting Maniac said...

Awesome list. And I have to agree with you. Padme dying from a broken heart .. just too much for me to swallow. And Jar Jar. Don't get me started. And I HATED the actors who played BOTH Anakin's. Poor, poor excuses for actors. And seriously.. it was SO hard for me to see that actor become who everyone feared because really ...
Yeah. I'm with you on this one.

My TT is up, too!

-R- said...

I don't know that much about Star Wars, but I also hated how Padme lost the will to live and instantly died. Give her at least a little tiny bit of backbone, please!

Anonymous said...

I am awed by your passion here, Sarah.

I saw the original in the theatre when it was first released, and I've caught snippets of the sequels over the years on Christmas reruns. I don't know why, but I just never caught the fever (I love science fiction, and I'm a die-hard trekkie--original Trek, that is).

Anonymous said...

I actually like both sets of trilogies, but I do admire your passion about the glaring mistakes. #5 always gets me, obviously they meant that she was alive when Leia was very young, then - as you said - they had Padme die in childbirth to end it quickly in the prequel. That one irks me no end - very glaring problem.

Great T13, I loved it!

Have a wonderful day, mine is up too (but rather mindless by comparison!).

Anonymous said...

I can barely stand the prequels. give me Han Solo any day, thankyouverymuch.

Anonymous said...

I saw the first prequel and didn't really like it, so I never caught the other two.

Happy T13!

Patrick said...

As a die-fan of the movies, all I can say is, "Amen!"

Those prequels never lived up to the hype. Not because the hype was too strong, but because the movies are too weak.

I still say that Darth Maul was one of the coolest villains ever, though!;-)