Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thirteen Favorite Canned Soups


For a blog entitled "Still Life With Soup Can," I believe I don't have nearly enough posts about soups... in cans. And I dare say there is no one alive who loves soups in cans more than I do. I'm a canned soup connoisseur. Today I will show my appreciation for 13 top-of-the-line canned soups.

1. Progresso's Chickarina. Chicken! And mystery meatballs! In one soup, together in a marriage of bliss! I love this soup.

2. Campbell's Chunky's Sirloin Burger with Country Vegetables. Potatoes, veggies, and mini burgers, complete with little mini char lines from what I assume are little mini grills somewhere. How. Cute.

3. Campbell's Mushroom Soup. A classic. May it continue to make casseroles for many years to come. This is the one canned soup I will eat straight out of the can. (Little known dirty secret about me. Seriously. You can ask my dad. It's so good.)

4. Campbell's Select's Three Cheese Mushroom Ravioli with Vegetables.

5. Progresso's Chicken and Long Grain Wild Rice.

6. Healthy Choice's Zesty Gumbo. Doesn't taste a thing like real gumbo, but nor does it taste healthy.

7. Campbell's Select's Roasted Chicken With Rotini & Penne Pasta. Notable for a reason similar to #1 Chickarina: two kinds of pasta in one soup!

8. Campbell's Select's Chicken With Egg Noodles. Really no different from Campbell's Chunky's Classic Chicken Noodle, or Progresso's Chicken Noodle, but usually gets the edge because it is 30-50 cents cheaper.

9. Progresso's Turkey Noodle. I always remember that one of the poultry-variety Progressos has mushrooms in it, but can't remember which one. The other day I was pleased to rediscover, totally by accident, the fact that it is Turkey Noodle. That's what the world needs: more soups with mushrooms.

10. Campbell's Chunky's Chicken and Mushroom Chowder. !!!! What! I've never seen it! I must have it! I was just on their site looking up soups, and it is listed there. That's what I'm saying: more soups with mushrooms.

11. Progresso's Roasted Chicken Italiano. This one is rather tasty.

12. Progresso's Chicken and Herb Dumplings. I like these weird little dumplings. Yum.

13. Campbell's Chicken Noodle. I have moved on to the more sophisticated end of the canned soup spectrum these days, but this is where it all began.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!






10 comments:

WendyWings said...

I have a sudden craving for soup now ;)
Happy TT day.

Raggedy said...

I love soup too!
I like plain tomato with milk, I nuke it and eat it often.
I don't like mushrooms or mushroom soup. In all the recipes that call for it I substitute cream of chicken. I love it!
Great list..
My TT is up

Carmen said...

I wish I liked soup. It's one of those things that reminds me of being sick as a kid :(

Anonymous said...

Progresso Chicken Noodle is the best!

Minerva Jane said...

Chickarina's my favorite too!

My TT's up as well--at www.goddessinthecity.blogspot.com

Mama Duck said...

Now I want soup! Happy TT, mine's up ;).

Knitting Maniac said...

# 2!!! The BOMB! I would eat all the veggies out and save the burgers for last!

mmmmmm.... sirloin burger goodness.

Thanks for stopping by!

Tracie Nall said...

I have never been very big on soup, but my husband could eat it for all three meals every day!

Anonymous said...

Sarah's grandfather would always talk about "Senate" bean soup served in the US Senate office building. I guess it IS famous!

Mark Folse said...

Wow, where do you find Senate bean soup? I used to live on that stuff when I worked on Capitol Hill.

I'm sad not to to Progresso Southwestern on there. That stuff is some good.

For a connesiur of canned soups, I'll have to get you a recipe for Beer Cheese Soup, the ultimate Midwestern comfort food (white roux or gruel as they call it up there, chickben broth, Velteeta and of course beer. Man, that stuff tastes so good when its 10 out. Above or below.