Gifts in the Mail... And Turtles!
SFBC has bestowed on me a package containing Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates, the second book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, and Naomi Novik's Temeraire novels in omnibus form. I am starting with Temeraire, partly because I will have to review what happened in Gardens of the Moon before I read Deadhouse Gates (although I believe I remember from a review that this one is about entirely different characters and we don't get to find out what happens to the first bunch yet, and the flip-through I did seems to back this up). But also, I mean come on, an alternate history of the Napoleonic Wars with dragons. That starts on a ship. With dragons. Now why would anyone think I would greatly anticipate such a book? Me, particularly? Perhaps because Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders series is my all-time favorite series? But this won't be as good as Liveships. I hope it will be good, don't get me wrong. Liveships is special to me, though, and as such, occupies the top spot in the ships & dragons genre. And if ships & dragons is not a genre, it ought to be.
Was perusing the Blue Bell half gallons at the store yesterday when I saw it: Caramel Turtle Fudge. I said to myself, "What are these Caramel Turtles of which the box speaks? I must have it." As it turns out, Caramel Turtle Fudge is Caramel Turtle Fudge in the same way that Ben and Jerry's Phish Food is Phish Food. It is vanilla, with nuts and caramel stripes, and LITTLE CHOCOLATE TURTLES FILLED WITH CARAMEL.
Joy! The cute is rendering me speechless. Joy!
My ice cream is so cute. I wonder if it isn't cuter than Jolee. Too bad he's in the other room so I can't compare. [Spontaneously combusts from what doctors will determine to be a combination of sugar overload and cuteness.]
2 comments:
Ah, Deadhouse Gates. It's the second best Malazan novels out there, and invariably one of my favorite fantasy reads of all time!
And Novik's trilogy is a lot of fun as well!;-)
Good reading!
I am really liking them so far, but kind of reluctant to read quickly... all I need is another long unfinished fantasy series to get upset about.
Post a Comment