Friday, July 7, 2006

When the People of Katrina Frustrate You...

Yesterday afternoon and this morning I helped out at Animal Rescue New Orleans. I cleaned out cages, changed food and water dishes, and petted the cats. I may also be learning how to trap cats this week. The people at ARNO are super-nice, and they are doing this for free. I just get fed up sometimes and can't deal with the politics, questions, and red tape of Katrina. I get sick of people in general, and this "gimme" attitude that persists 11 months after the storm. I get angry at myself because my life got derailed too and I should be more understanding. I get angry at the assholes from other cities who come on Craigslist and post about how black people need to die and New Orleans needs to sink into the ocean. I get disgusted at the paper's Corruption-of-the-Day reports. I do not consider myself a helpless person, and I don't want to live in a city that's portrayed that way. In search of a pro-active solution, I wound up at ARNO's warehouse in Jefferson.

box catsThese kittens (I found their picture on the internet) are at ARNO. I played with them today, and one of the Siamese-looking ones got away on me. Two of them look like baby Jolees but with light yellow tabby stripes on their faces. They were found in the trash in Lakeview, taped inside a box. Luckily someone found them before they starved to death. They are just about the sweetest kittens ever, and very acrobatic. They can climb all the way up the walls of their cage with their little clinging feet. Which basically means the person who taped them in a box to die is going straight to hell.

I'm going to take a shower now, because I suspect Jolee Bindo can smell cat on me. I don't want him to think I'm cheating on him with other cats.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Awww...the babies! I want one!

Sarah said...

They are too sweet. They love to play.