Saturday, July 1, 2006

Awesome Sports Moments

We were just watching England lose to Portugal on penalty kicks in the World Cup. They had a camera in a British pub showing the fans' reactions, but with no sound, and this reminded me that... gasp!... I forgot to blog the awesomest sports moment of the year.

Which was this: the Carolina Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup in 7 games over the Edmonton Oilers. While we were cheering for the Oilers (following the defeat of the Sabres), our sorrow over the defeat was mollified by the following: They had Bret Hedican miked, and they cut to his reaction at the moment one of his teammates handed him the Cup. I don't know what the hell NBC was thinking doing that on a live broadcast. What did they expect would happen? He takes the Cup and yells "FUCKIN YEAH!!!" right into the mike and the camera.

I said it was almost worth Canada losing the Cup again just to see that on network TV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I LOVE it! I bet the producers had a cow when that happened. I agree with you; they should totally know better.

Sarah said...

Good thing it was hockey, which isn't a highly rated sport, and late at night. It was really, really funny though.