I Am the Envy of Geeks Everywhere
On Friday I got my prize set of autographed George R.R. Martin books. I now must bear the jealousy of fantasy geeks everywhere. They are so shiny and matching. Though I admit that I liked the old covers better. Well, I liked the Game of Thrones one with Ned Stark in the snow, anyway. "Winter is Coming." Brrrr... I stared at them for a while, turning them this way and that, stacking them up in different ways, before putting them in their place on the shelf.
Martin goes next to Hobb on the eye-level shelf because, well, they're the best, obviously. I discovered both of them pretty far into their series, in 2003, when I was in law school and trying to avoid it by burying myself in fantasy (or in fact anything that wasn't the law). In this genre, discovering a great author late is a thrilling experience I wish happened more often-- the books are already finished and you can go right out and impulse buy and eat them up in a weekend. I had read enough "eh" fantasy to know that here, finally, was the stuff I wanted to read. And when [that event at the end of AGOT] happened, I was in shock, like, "No he didn't!" But he did! And upon reflection, it was damn cool.
Valar morghulis, kids.
4 comments:
Looks like a scribble. But wow...somebody in our family finally won something free of obligation!!
There is CLEARLY a GRRM in the scribble. Hmph.
Well, the scribble is the exact same one that could be found on the two UK edition hardbacks that were also up for grabs.
So it's GRRM all right!
Hopefully I won't discover that you've put them on auction on ebay next week!;-)
Patrick
Oh, I'm keeping them!
Post a Comment