Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Parade Must Go On!

'Tastes Like MREs': Krewe members dressed as guardsmen toss beads at the King Arthur parade
I don't think there should be any controversy over whether Mardi Gras should have rolled. It had to. The argument is that if Mardi Gras goes on as usual, people will think everything is OK here. Which it is not, but I got news for the detractors: most of America already thinks that anyway. I know better when I drive down Gentilly on the way to class. And did you know that the cable company here devotes an entire channel to playing music and showing photographs of the 9th Ward and Lakeview 24/7?

But today's floats showed a sense of humor about things, and it's a healthy idea. It makes you forget for a while that you have to dodge giant piles of debris and derelict cars everywhere you drive. I now have a lovely Krewe of Carrollton "Blue Roof Blues 2006" cup. The parades are much shorter than usual, but my usual spot at St. Charles and Milan was crowded enough. Let the parades roll!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAVE LOTS OF FUN AND COLLECT LOTS OF BEADS.

GRANDPA

Sarah said...

I already have a couple... but the good parades aren't till this weekend. :-) Thanks!

Sarah