Books, Cats, & Valentines
I have been doing a lot of market research lately for my writing. I'm in one of those "ugh" phases where I keep re-structuring my 3/4 finished novel, changing my mind, and moving the scenes back where they were. I am worried that it starts weakly, and as an unpublished writer who will be sending out queries sometime this year, it can't afford to. But I am ready to settle down and do some serious work on it this month. I need to read about writing on the internet less, and actually write more. I have three short stories very close to completion, which just need that final push to get done.
For Valentine's Day dinner Mike and I went to Arnaud's in the quarter. Illustrating the difference between New Orleans and Boston (and in fact most other cities), when there was a mixup and we sat for 15 minutes before being given menus or drinks, the maitre d' came out personally, apologized, and gave us complimentary appetizers. I love just walking around in the quarter, looking at the flower-filled balconies and mysterious courtyards and old shuttered houses. It's nice to know that the oldest part of the city survived mostly unscathed.
I found out UNO will finally be sending my refund check for living expenses this week. However, I'll only get $1,000 and the rest will come in a month. Argh. I am also applying for jobs so hopefully it won't kill me to wait. After all, I need to pay for the car I don't have. (Have been driving a rented Sunfire for two weeks, which is longer than I had the Accent. No word on when repairs will be done, but at least I have not had to pay for any of this.)
I have been in this whirlwind of obsession over the cat in the last four days. I am so glad I took a chance on him, even though he was bitey and unfriendly at the shelter. That is not his personality at all. He was just traumatized. He is very vocal (a nice way of saying loud... YOW YOW YOW) and purry. And I really am trying to refrain from posting cat pictures, but...
3 comments:
Hey Sarah!
My only advice for you is to keep on writing. It's the only thing about the whole "ultimately getting published" process that you can control.
As for the rest, that's what rewrites are for!;-)
Best of luck to you!
Pat
I know. I do so much better when I forget the analyzing and get some real work done. I just have this pesky habit of rewriting when I'm not done yet.
Thanks!
(I didn't know you had a book. Nice!)
The constant "need" to rewrite is hard to let go. But when you finally get rid of it, you'll be surprised at the speed of your progress.:-)
Yeah, I have a fantasy manuscript that I'm shopping around. My "connections" as a book reviewer has allowed me to get a book proposal to HarperCollins, where the senior editor of the fantasy genre and her assistant are checking it out. I have also begun working on the sequel. And I'm now spending most of my free time on another novel, this one a non-fiction manuscript.
Anyway, I've read the bits you put online, and you obviously have a lot of talent. So keep at it!;-)
Post a Comment