Sunday, October 23, 2005

Like a Train Wreck

Funniest. Site. Of the Week. Period.

Each day a new horrific Harry Potter fan fiction story is featured and rated. In case you're not aware, "Mary Sue" is a term for an inexplicably perfect female character, who is gifted with several rare abilities and has "hair that fell like a shimmering veil to her waist, black as a raven's wing, with eyes that shone like brazen emeralds of the sky" or some equally nauseating, cliched, and overwritten description. All the other characters love the Mary Sue even though she displays no individual personality whatsoever. Oh, just go look. The writing speaks better than I can. (On one hand, I realize the people who write these stories are probably 13. On the other hand... Oy.) Fan fiction is something I'd never waste my time writing. If I am ever published I'll be one of those authors who has a lawyer on call to sue the hell out of anyone who turns my characters into gay porn. Yet somehow, like the proverbial train wreck ... (Should I be ashamed of the fact that I have a folder in my bookmarks titled "Guilty Pleasures" that's full of this stuff? No, no. It's OK. I'll own that.)

No comments: