Monday, September 5, 2005

Limbo

Brief stop at my parents' house (where my boyfriend is convinced that my pets are trying to eat him-- which they are not, my cat just has a penchant for sitting on people's faces) before heading to Boston today.

I'm in quite the interesting and frustrating social and financial limbo. Do I still have a job? How can I have a job if the windows are blown out of the office and there's water in the street? (It's on Poydras Street across from the Superdome, if you've seen the pictures.) Come to think of it, since what I do at my job is open new files and call clients, what on earth would I DO at my job now that no one is there to open a case and even if they were they don't have phones? Not to mention that I don't know how many of our clients are homeless or dead. Many of them were low income and lived in the East. What about my paycheck I'm due tomorrow? Will I be laid off? Do I still have health insurance? And where do I go in Boston without paying exorbitant copays since I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana? Can I collect unemployment? I need prescriptions and new contacts, and both those doctors are in New Orleans. How am I going to be able to get these things, which I need in the next 2 weeks? Do I get a job in Boston? Do I pay car insurance on a car I am unable to drive because it is sitting in my driveway in New Orleans? Am I going to have to pay rent on an apartment no one can live in, because my stuff is there? And... do I or do I not pay my Entergy bill? On one hand, the bill is for services already rendered, so I should pay it. On the flip side, what can they do, threaten to cut my power off??

But I am alive. And there's a strong possibility I still own something in New Orleans. Which places me better off than thousands of citizens of our fair city. Poor city. I am obsessed with the news. Every five minutes I excuse myself, "Sorry, I have to go look at the destruction again."

It's a mess, that's what it is. Poor city. It was actually less than 60 degrees here last night. I just want to go back to my city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you call me, I wanted to tell you that I read in today's USA Today that BC & BS of Louisiana is waiving out of area co-pays. So keep on believing you will get back there some day.
mom