Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Another Day, Another City

Arrived in Boston last night, our fourth city in as many days. But this one we will stay in, which makes it different. It feels good to finally reach your destination.

Stopped at the Lee Outlets on our way over, which brings up the question of: how are you a refugee if you just dropped $100 at J Crew? None of it was stuff I would have bought, if it weren't for the fact that all my sweaters are hung up neatly in a closet in New Orleans that you can't get to by any roads. And now I have more than one pair of pants. (I own TWO pairs of pants. Whoo.) But it seemed as if my life was infinitely more under control now that I had a striped belt and a pink sweater (and a green sweater, and a white shirt, and the other 8 items I purchased at the Gap, where there was an excellent sale...) There. And I've justified my shopping. By the way, as the news media informs us, if you were previously unaware (like me), "refugee" is not P.C. The proper term is "displaced person."

I thought maybe they'd find some way to direct deposit my paycheck today, since it is payday. No such luck. Dollars dwindle. And the promised update of the work website has not occurred. I just hate that I worked so hard at maintaining some kind of savings, even at my low paying job, and now I am going to have to use them all just to buy stuff I already have. Some good news though-- apparently I can go to any Walgreens to get my prescriptions because they have me in their computer, and there is one 2.7 miles away according to their website. I am going to assume I still have health insurance. All the more reason to get prescriptions filled ASAP.

Irritated. Worried.

But it is sunny outside. This is a new chapter in the story of my life, and it starts... with a shower.

"Pretty soon they're singing one by one the same old line
They say, I'm all right, I just can't get home tonight"
- Counting Crows

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Hi Sarah,

I've been reading your updates, and I just want you to know that my thoughts are with you.

This may not mean much, but I've donated money to the Red Cross, and through my weblog I have encouraged other people to do the same.:-) I wish I could do a little more, but hopefully my small contribution will somehow make a difference.

Stay strong...

Patrick

P. S. At least reading Robin Hobb's THE LIVESHIP TRADERS can help you forget, for a little while at least, what you have gone through in the last few days...:-)

Anonymous said...

hey Sarah,
Just want you to know that I'm really glad that you are safe, you were one of the lucky few to have somewhere to go and get help from people who love you. (and by the way, J.Crew and Gap purchases are always justified!)
Good luck in everything that comes your way, you are a survivor, and it can only go up from here, right??
Steph Shephard