Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ouch, Says My Car

And I say, "Ouch," too.

Only I have the luck to bust out of work early and be on my way to have a celebratory Thanksgiving Break drink at the Bulldog with a co-worker... and then get in a car accident. I was in the Irish Channel, with its web of one way streets and stop signs, when a giant black truck came out from my left and I couldn't brake in time. My left hand hit something, both airbags exploded at me, my front windshield cracked, and my horn was stuck blaring permanently.

All these people came out of the corner bar to see if everyone was OK, and I was very out of it, but the first thoughts that wandered through my head were,
1) Shit, was it my stop sign? It wasn't my stop sign, was it? OH GOOD, it wasn't.
2) At least he crunched in the side of the bumper that was already scratched when some idiot backed into me outside St. Joe's and took off. Which is now going to get fixed for free.

So. I have this red spot of my hand that feels like a rug burn, along with a cut, which must be from the air bag, and a couple of other red spots on my left arm. My right knee must have gotten jammed or something (I had it extended with the brake all the way down to the floor), because it's feeling a little iffy. Not painful, just iffy. Today my neck is sore. My hand swelled up yesterday, but it's gone down. My poor car though... the front bumper, hood, the front panel on the driver's side, the windshield, two air bags, and my seat belt is inexplicably broken.

All in all, it's more of a pain in the butt than anything else, once I got over the initial shock. From the windshield cracking and the air bags going off, and the pain in my hand, I expected to find the whole front end smashed in, but it doesn't look that bad. Neither of us were going over 25, I doubt. I'm not at fault, and the guy had just bought his truck (so it sucked for him too) and has full coverage. Also, he was a pretty chill guy to get hit by, which was helpful since we had to stand and wait for the cops for over an hour. You'd think in the sketchy part of the Irish Channel, we'd have run into one sooner, but it seems they vacated the premises rather than deal with our boring car wreck. We looked in my manual and figured out how to pull out the fuse for the horn, so it finally shut off. He was a waiter, which I'd figured immediately from his outfit and the fact that he'd just gotten off work. Who but waitstaff and teachers is just getting off at 3:00? He had barely any damage to his truck. I just bounced right off. Nice to be large. The lady next door stuck her head out to say that she'd heard the crash but didn't even get up-- there's about one every two days at that intersection.

So. Now I have to spend the first part of my break on the phone with Allstate and Progressive, and possibly at a doctor's appointment. Whoo. They are coming Monday to tow my car away. Poor car.

4 comments:

Mark R. Brand said...

I may be partial because I do this for a living, but you might consider getting checked out by a chiropractor. Regular GPs and orthos aren't really going to have anything useful to do for you after a minor accident like that, but Chiros at least can check out the alignment of your neck and back and make sure you didn't have any subacute injury to your spine or joints. They can check your knee, too, probably. This usually doesn't happen with auto accidents, but there are kinds of neck injuries you can get from collisions that put your spine in a position where the articulating surfaces of your cervical vertebra will, over time, degenerate as though you were aging 2-3X as fast as usual. That spells arthritis in your 40's and 50's if uncorrected. Not trying to scare you, just putting on my medical hat... Most insurances cover consults/x-rays/adjustments, and you can be guaranteed they're not going to do anything invasive or put you on any medications.

Sarah said...

Well, I am going today. I am going to the rehab place where they have an MD and a chiro. My neck is still pretty stiff.

Sadie said...

Well that does suck. I hope you get to feeling better so you can enjoy your vacation. Drugs... drugs are good.

NOLADawn said...

Bummer, sorry that happened and ruined your first great teacher perk.