I Will Never Understand
... the tendency of my LONG-HAIRED cat to pick the hottest room in the house, sneak in, and sleep there. It's about 100 degrees outside this week, and we haven't been out in the living room for several days, and have been keeping the door firmly closed. Which means it is about 100 degrees out there too. Yet he persists in zipping through the door when I'm not looking. Then hours later, I can't find him, and I go hunting... only to find him flopped out in front of the fireplace looking totally happy, when really he ought to be dead of heat exhaustion and perhaps lack of oxygen. Does he not understand that he is a long-haired cat? Does he not understand that he can sleep in the bedroom, in his spot on top of the leather couch DIRECTLY in front of the air conditioner? He either has a temperature disorder or a death wish.
For that matter, I will never understand the tendency of my other cat to sleep in the bathtub, either.
There is no point to this post, except that it is really, really, really, really hot out this week, and just cooking Caribbean rice from the Zatarain's box is enough physical activity to make me have to take a shower. I am on my new laptop in the bedroom, since we can no longer afford to A/C more than one room in the house. It's like a little fort.
4 comments:
Ugh. I can't say that I'm sorry I'm missing this heat wave. Cats are so funny...
Maybe his long hair acts as insulation.
actually, anonymous is pretty dead on... and I'm about to reveal how big a crazy cat lady I am.
Cats hair act both to insulate in the winter and cool in the summer. What happens is that the hair traps air between itself and the cats body--cool(ish) air in the summer, warm(ish) air in the winter. So basically, cats fur is like its own air conditioner/heating unit. Though, you still have to worry about them over heating in the summer, thus the lots of water.
As for Starbuck... she's just strange. Very, very strange...
My cats love the tub and sink. Mouse thinks the sink is his hot tub sans water... weird cats.
This heat is killing me and one of my classroom a/c units in on the fritz. With 24 stinky bodies after PE = not a good combination.
Post a Comment