Will I Die If I Eat This Cream Cheese?
Let us state for the record that I am not the world's most... hygienic... person.
Just now I am toasting a bagel. I don't really know why. Usually I hate the thought of eating breakfast food for breakfast (so heavy, so carb-y, and eggs gross me out), and usually I like my bagels cold, not toasted. But my wonderful tropical climate just began to blow rain at my windows in a stormy manner, and a hot bagel and coffee seemed like the thing to do. I reached into the fridge for cream cheese, only to check the date and see that it said MAY 26 2006.
Now, I know for a FACT that I have purchased cream cheese this year. So I'm not sure where this old-as-the-hills container of cream cheese came from, and why it's the only one in the fridge. Then I thought, well it's not as if cream cheese is milk. And it doesn't have anything growing on it, which you would think would be the case if it was really over a year old. It looks and smells safe. I know the average, reasonable, sane person would not even be toying with the idea of eating this cream cheese, but I seem to blissfully lack the gene that causes one to care about this sort of thing.
So, will I die if I eat this cream cheese of dubious age?
I guess I had better stay on the safe side and eat the bagel with margarine. But I don't like bagels with butter, and I won't be happy about it.
4 comments:
Let us know if you ended up eating eat and survive.
I don't know what I would do-- if it smells and looks safe, I'd probably eat it. But it is pretty old. Dilemma, definitely.
I opted against it. Just in case.
When dealing with dairy products of dubious origin and age, it is best to err on the side of caution...
People in the midwest say bah-gel as opposed to bay-gel. Like they're sheep or something....weirdos.
Post a Comment