Tuesday, July 24, 2007

To Leg or Not To Leg

Leggings. I thought it was a joke that leggings were back. Like it was something college kids were doing because they were being "ironic" or because they were on their way to a theme keg party. But make no mistake-- leggings are out there, along with skinny pants. And they're on the streets of your city.

Personally, I believe in the fashion rule that if you wore it the first time, you should not wear it the second time because you are Too Old. Leggings make me think of the fifth grade, when I wore them with giant baggy t-shirts, with the hem pulled to the side and stuck through one of those decorative plastic rings. And skinny pants. Why? Skinny pants make everyone look fat. I cannot get over the icked-out feeling I get when I see any kind of tapered pant, because they used to only be seen on people's fashion-challenged middle-aged mothers and we used to roll our eyes and be like, "Grooooss. The 80's are SO OVER."

Then I have all these people telling me that my body type is one of the only body types that can handle the skinny pant/legging thing and I should get in on the action. I am super resistant to this idea. But I SUPPOSE I could be persuaded to MAYBE get a tunic-y white shirt and wear it with my chunky turquoise necklace and MAYBE leggings. I SUPPOSE. It seems like super comfortable airport wear, for instance. But as I said, there is something inside me that just resists this idea. I'm not convinced.

So... leggings. Bringing sexy back? Or "that was the 80's on the phone-- they want your outfit back"?

5 comments:

Christina said...

Oh Sarah. I wear skinny pants. Do it. They make my ass look bigger, which I need. You can so pull it off.

NOLADawn said...

You could totally pull the legging look off. Of course the "kids" these days are wearing the leggings with the jean skirts and topsiders... don't go THAT far, ok?!

LissBirds said...

You can wear leggings just as long as you don't wear a skirt OVER them. Honestly, I saw someone with black leggings and a denim skirt and loose sweatshirt the other day. This is wrong! (And I think she was wearing ballet flats, too.)

I'm just waiting for the early 90's to come back. You know, neon, crimped hair, slouch socks, body suits with flannel shirts over them? Since we're in the 80's now, I give it another ten years before we're in the 90's.

::shudder::

--Melissa

Tina said...

RESIST! RESIST WITH EVERY FIBER OF YOUR BEING. For the simple fact that 1 month after you invest in the leggings, they will not be fashionable.

Plus, dude, totally 80s. And the 80s are only good for one thing: 80s hair bands. Why you ask? Because everyone, no matter their level of drunkeness, can dance to 80s hair band music.

Sarah said...

I... can't... wear... skinny pants. All... pants... must... be... boot cut.