Friday, July 20, 2007

Potterday! The Final Countdown

Some final thoughts:

* I don't think Harry is going to die.
* I think all of the Trio are going to make it.
* I would love for Neville to be the one to kill Bellatrix.
* Draco Malfoy seems like he might get redeemed, but I do not expect him to live.
* Snape isn't evil, because Dumbledore had a good reason for trusting him that he didn't tell anyone.
* But, like Malfoy, I wouldn't put money on him making it out of this mess.
* I think Dumbledore is really dead, but they may be able to communicate with him somehow, like through his portrait in the office.
* R.A.B. is Regulus Black. He is virtually the only R-B combo we've heard about. And he's had at least three throwaway references. J.K. doesn't make throwaway references. See Mrs. Figg way back in Book 1 who shows up in Book 5.
* The locket was at 12 Grimmauld Place. I bet it's one of the things Mundungus Fletcher stole when he looted the house, and Harry got mad at him for selling his stuff. Another throwaway plot point from Book 6 that was never followed up with anything. It could be a red herring, but I'm betting it's another "hey, this rat is missing a toe."
* Since it takes two people to get to the island where the locket was, I bet it was Kreacher who went with Regulus. He is sworn to the Black family and has to do what they say. I think this because Rowling apparently told the director of Movie 5 that he'd be sorry later if he cut Kreacher, so his scenes were left in. Therefore there is something he has to do in Book 7.
* There is supposedly a character who manages to do magic late in life in dire circumstances. I'm going out on a limb and saying I think it's Petunia Dursley.
* At least one Weasley will probably die.
* I hate to say it, but things aren't looking good for Hagrid either. It's one of the deaths that would have major emotional impact for Harry.
* Wormtail will turn on Voldemort.
* I think Ginny will live, because of love being a major theme.

Let's see if I'm totally off. I'm probably going to be signing off the internet soon, because I DON'T WANT TO KNOW! Happy Potterday!

7 comments:

Bryan said...

Hrmm.....suffice to say there are some 'interesting' ideas in there. I'll leave it at that. :-)

Sarah said...

11.5 out of 14 ain't bad.

Anonymous said...

we both finished it

Anonymous said...

Not bad, Sarah!

Tina said...

That's about how I stacked up. Must say, was a little disappointed in the ending, not from a plot POV but b/c I felt that there was that whole chapter at the end (pre penultimate moment) where all JK did was tell, tell, tell. The first rule of writing: SHOW DON'T TELL. And she totally broke it.

Sarah said...

I agree re: the battle. The whole battle was sort of awkwardly structured. It was drawn out, and there was too much she was trying to shove in. Like she felt she had to name drop everyone who was there.

And then didn't follow up by telling us who the hell the other 50 dead people (some of whom we must know by name) are. I didn't think the epilogue told us much of anything either.

Tinsie said...

Awww that really is very impressive! I hadn't guessed half of those.
I loved the book and thought the battle scenes were great. I'm glad she didn't rush them. I suppose they were written with the movie in mind. They'll look great on the big screen.
As for the "gaps", I can't help thinking that she might write another book (maybe 7.5?) to talk about the aftermath.