Friday, July 13, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

We thought this was one of the best Harry Potter movies yet. Even I was able to separate myself from the usual voice in my head that says, "They strayed from the book! They strayed from the book!" throughout the whole movie. I liked the dark coloring, the pacing, the adult feel of the movie. Yes, there were things that could have done with more exposition, and there were parts from the book I would have liked to see in the movie... but, as Kingsley Shacklebolt said, you can't deny it had style.

After the scene at the Ministry, I felt rather threatened. I think that scene (gasp! I can hardly type it!) came off better than in the book. When the Order burst onto the scene, it really hit home for me that Harry and his friends had done well in the fight, but these were the big boys. It was impressive, and I think it was necessary. There really hasn't been a scene yet in the franchise showing what full-blown wizards can do. It was a great scene.

3 comments:

mW said...

As I said last night, I really think this was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time, HP or not. Clearly the best of the series in my mind, and brilliantly directed, acted, and written.

Matt said...

Speaking as a non-HP reader, I found the movie to be frequently frustrating. There was an interminable buildup that kept rehashing the same problems, Harry's alone, oh no he's not, oh yes he is, oh no he isn't (I feel like I should be snapping my fingers while typing this).

The acting was solid although the chemistry between the child leads was sometimes lacking.

All in all, I think this movie suffered from middle child symptoms. It didn't have a true beginning or a true ending but had to make due by being stuck in the middle.

The Urban Feminist said...

I'm gonna go see it in 3D at the IMAX, can't wait!!!