Friday, July 6, 2007

Don't Wanna Celebrate

I don't celebrate the 4th of July anymore. This is because I don't really live in the United States of America anymore, but in a small independent city-state at the southern end of the Mississippi River. Seriously. I personally think we should secede, and take all of our oil with us.

Yes, I am disillusioned with the current state of America. What do you expect? I am a socially liberal, pro-choice, anti-war woman in a young demographic with a buttload of student debt who lives in New Orleans. The current government has made it perfectly clear on several fronts that it doesn't care about me, or other people like me. So why should I care about it?

I suppose I could go the other way and say that the 4th of July doesn't have to be about "Rah rah America!" I suppose I could have celebrated it because it was Independence Day, and that's a good thing (never mind what we chose to do with it and that if we had a parliamentary system of government like Britain and practically every other civilized country, we wouldn't be in our current situation). But as it happens, I didn't really celebrate the 4th of July. America doesn't inspire "rah rah" feelings in me these days.

Besides, I was at work.

1 comment:

Sadie said...

I agree. With all that.