WTF So Pissed Off About My Apparent "Lack" of Credit
I got rejected for a credit card last year, and I assumed it was because I had recently applied for a car loan the same month. So here I am in a crappy situation in which I have a large medical bill, I took a paycut to go to the job where I currently am, and I will be starting a job that pays substantially more (ie: nearly double my current income) in ONE month's time. I'm not the kind of person who racks up unnecessary debt. I'm seriously talking about getting a credit card JUST to pay for a plane ticket I need to buy this month and can't afford. I'm talking about using credit to get through ONE month of my life, and then paying it right off. IF THIS IS NOT A SITUATION THAT PERFECTLY DESCRIBES WHY CREDIT CARDS WERE INVENTED, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS.
I applied for a credit card and got rejected... again. I didn't even apply for the real one-- I applied for the student one. I don't get it. I did a free annual credit report ON MYSELF the same day I applied for the card. It said I have 13 total accounts, six past and seven present, all in good standing. I mean, I read the report! What report are they reading that says I have "delinquent credit"? How do I still, after being an adult and paying my own bills for five years, apparently have no credit? The kicker is that there were 2 cards on the report I didn't even know I had. One was apparently a card from Bank of America that gave me a $1500 credit limit when I was a 19 year old college student and had an income of zero dollars. YEAH. And I can't even get a bullshitty student card for like $1000 at the age of 26 when I've been paying bills for years??
It just pisses me off that I thought I was being responsible all those years by not having a credit card and, you know, using a debit card from my bank account, when apparently it would have been better if I'd racked up tons of debt. I have ONE credit card with a $500 limit that isn't even enough to buy plane tickets on. Or anything useful. What if there's another hurricane and we have to freakin' evacuate again?
I swear to god, I should just call up Bank of America and tell them to send me another copy of that card. Jesus Christ.
7 comments:
Make sure those cards you didn't know about are closed. Are ask them to send you a new card.
Can you call the one credit card you do have and ask for a credit limit increase?
I feel your pain, except I really did have bad credit so I deserved to be turned down. Good luck!
Ugh. "Credit" is so subjective. I'm in the same boat, except I had a credit card in college, which I ran up a tinsy bit post college, was delinquinent like once BUT aggressively paid off and have DILIGENTLY paid my other store cards on time. Yet... I can't get a credit card. WTF, man??!!
You should call the place and ask for a credit raise on one you already have. Explain the situation. When I was getting ready to come to NO after Katrina for work I called and they doubled my credit limit in a day, so it can be done. Turns out I didn't have to go, and as it so happens US Bank raised my credit another 3 grand this month. I wish I could loan you credit...seems I have an excess.
I want your credit!!
I can totally relate. We "fixed" our credit long enough to buy a house... but that's gone to crap since then, all in a year's time.
I had this same problem when I was a recent ex student (in Canada).
I suggest that you go with one of the corporate biggies (forget the specialty cards) and apply for a $1000 limit. I'd be shocked if they refused you. Also, if you have a relationship with a personal banker, they can help.
Good luck!
Will you have a union membership when you start your new job? If they sponsor a credit card for members, you should be able to get a card from them. The line of credit will probably start fairly low, but should go up as your income and length of employment increase.
Post a Comment