Watching the America's Cup
So we got Versus so we could watch hockey. And, as a nifty bonus point, they're covering the America's Cup this year. I'm going to be watching the racing this afternoon. I figure, I'm a sailor and it's sort of like the Olympics in that it only comes around once every four years, so why not?
I am not ashamed to admit that racing like this is waaaaaay over my head. There's a huge difference between laying out a course on a lake and hopping in a Laser and sailing like this. The level of technology is amazing. It's sometimes hard to follow what's going on, and I've sailed a lot. I can see why the America's Cup probably isn't going to be the most popular sporting event on TV for the average viewer. The terminology and the strategy is going to be too much for most people. And I think it's exciting, but it's going to look like two boats going in a straight line for 3/4 of the race to someone who isn't into sailing.
Some things I can tell you:
We are out. The US team, BMW Oracle, lost in the semi-final of the Louis Vuitton Cup to Italy's Luna Rossa. The Louis Vuitton Cup is sort of like the conference finals in other sports. Except there's only one of it. Because whoever wins the race gets to face Alingi, which is the boat that won in 2003 and thus the challenger this year. Right now we're on Race 3 of the Louis Vuitton Cup, and you have to get to five in order to win. So far Luna Rossa is getting swept by New Zealand (not surprising-- I've sailed with many fine Kiwis in my day).
It really makes me wish I had a boat, though. Let's just say that's in my two-year plan.
2 comments:
*sigh* I love sailing. I'm not rabid or avid by any means, but I love it nonetheless. Wish I knew how to do it better. And I love these kind of races... they seem so much more competative to me than "professoinal" sports like basketball or even baseball... plus, to train for 4 years for a mere chance at greatness? In the immortal words of one infamous jailbird heiress...that's hot.
It's so crazy how much money and design work goes into a campaign... they even have a guy on the boat specifically to read the weather data. And another guy to do the strategy. And a pit crew. It's neat to watch.
Post a Comment