WWC
I obviously haven't been out enough lately, so this is bothering me afresh, but I have to ask what is up with men who think that just because a woman is there, she is somehow asking to be hit on? Similar to the way DWB (Driving While Black) gives the police probable cause to pull you over, apparently WWC (Working While Cute) gives men license to hit on you.
So I'm working the door last night, and this guy who'd been sitting in the bar comes up to me. "You're new, aren't you? I'm ____."
I shook hands. "Nice to meet you. I'm Sarah."
"Yeah," he says, "only I really came over here because my friend wants to meet you."
Lord. If there is one pickup I hate, it is "the friend." It's pretty much the lamest thing ever. What it shows me is that your friend is a spineless fool who sends others to do his dirty work for him. Luckily some people came in the door just then, and I was able to beg off saying hi to the lame friend. But later they flagged me down as I was walking past the bar, and it became unavoidable. I chatted for a few minutes, because, well, I have a lot of friends who are guys, and I am not above meeting people and engaging in chat. The length of this conversation was no more than two minutes. Then "the friend" asks if he can give me his number. I politely explained that I had a boyfriend and was therefore taken, and therefore would not be calling him.
They exchanged looks. "Really! Because that wasn't the vibe we got!"
"What do you mean?"
"You gave off a single vibe."
Like, when? As I was standing in the door politely smiling and saying hello to people? As I was running around frantically bussing tables? As I was doing my job and completely ignoring you? How is that a "vibe"?
Yes, ladies, it's true. You should not be surprised and mildly annoyed by people hitting on you at work. Because you asked for it. By just being there. I really can't think of any way I would have been giving off a "vibe" other than the fact that I was tall, skinny, cute, and wearing a nice outfit and makeup. I suspect if I was less attractive, I wouldn't have given off a "single vibe." I suppose if I wore a sack to work and my eyes and hair looked as if I'd just rolled out of bed, then I would not be giving off a "single vibe." But I am not about to do that.
I don't know, it just seemed like such a sense of entitlement. Because I could not possibly be there for another purpose than picking up men. Give me a break.
(I didn't get hit on once when I wore the androgynous penguin suit. But I wouldn't go back to it if you paid me. I didn't realize how much I'd missed my real clothes!)
7 comments:
Were you wearing the "tight black pants and cute shirt"? And you did stop and chat with them at the bar. You could have said you were busy working. Chatting at the bar could be misunderstood when you aren't working as the bartender.
I don't think what I'm wearing should be a comment on my availability. It could certainly be termed business casual.
Here here! I so don't understand that. JUST because I put on a pair of black pants, a cute (yet demure shirt) and smile does NOT mean that I want you to hit on me. Further more, what in this situation indicated that you weren't working? And when the hell did polite translate into "available for a good snogging and more"? Really... seriously? Flattered, perhaps. But dude, I totally agree with you, major loss of points when one makes the friend go fishing for them. Women are not scary and unapproachable. Believe it or not, we're HUMAN... but again, what in this situation said hit on me? And what screamed available? And why should you tolerate some drunken butthead? And stopping to chat at the bar, WHEN YOU'RE WORKING, is just good business... Why are women CONSTANTLY judged on what we're wearing?
Sorry for the tirade...
Blech! I used to work at Victoria's Secret and you wouldn't believe the guys that came in to buy stuff for their g/f or wife and would hit on the employees.
I hated (hated!) when that happened at work. Cause you feel like you have to be nice to customers, but... ew. And I worked at one restaurant that encouraged us to actually sit down at the table with people. Which, yuck.
Wait you said something about tall? How big were the heels? :-P
Ah, the male brain works in mysterious ways, you know... Ways you female can't comprehend, and that's a fact!;-)
No but seriously, there are some guys out there that will get that "vibe" if a girl smiles and simply deigns to talk to them. Sad, I know, but yet another reality you women must live with!
Luckily for you ladies, there are some decents guys out there, so all is not lost. Not yet, anyway!:-)
Post a Comment