Monday, May 21, 2007

Oh, To Be A Link

I love John Scalzi's uber-popular blog Whatever for many reasons-- it's a frequently updated chronicle of the life of a full-time writer, he has interesting posts on writing and SF, and he's politically liberal. But I gotta admit, I really love it when we get funny cat pictures... and there have been several this week. I suspect I wouldn't love it nearly as much if his cat Ghlaghghee (it's an alternate spelling of "Fluffy") didn't look exactly like Jolee.

"Kara Thrace and her Special Destiny. Sounds like a bad cover band." Clearly the best Starbuck line of Season 3. I said, "I totally want to make a band called Kara Thrace and her Special Destiny. In fact, I bet someone did." And then I realized that I'd actually seen the T-shirt floating around on the internet. At the time I didn't get what the joke referred to. So. Kara Thrace and her Special Destiny T-shirts. Get yours today.

Miss Snark, purveyor of fine publishing industry advice, announced her retirement this weekend. Miss Snark was one of the first blogs I really got into. She's going to keep the archives up so all that great snark will be available to future literary nitwits.

TFN posted spoilers for Karen Traviss' upcoming Star Wars novel Sacrifice. (Warning: this link contains details about plot points and character deaths.) I haven't kept up with the Star Wars novelizations since about halfway through the New Jedi Order series. I do occasionally pick up the odd Timothy Zahn book-- he's sort of the godfather of the Star Wars Expanded Universe-- but I haven't been reading this new series. However. For reasons that will become obvious if you follow the link (and know enough about the EU to identify the chick in my banner), I am pretty put out over this particular development. Screw you, Star Wars EU. We are not speaking.

4 comments:

NOLADawn said...

I tagged for the eating out meme :) I want some recommendations!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah - you stopped by my Wordsicle blog a while back (an online writer's circle)...Anyway, I thought I'd let you know that I'm starting up the Tuesday Morning Writing Exercises again. Stop by if you can...join in...

LissBirds said...

That chick is Mara Jade, isn't it? I didn't read the spoilers but I'm guessing you're upset becuase she gets killed off? That sucks.

I gotta get into the EU more. I'm still pissed they never released Galaxies (that multi-player online SW game) for the Mac. And I have to start reading some EU books here!

--Melissa

LissBirds said...

P.S. And did you make your banner from scratch? (Well, aside from drawing Mara Jade.) 'Cause that is one kick-ass background.

--Melissa