Friday, May 11, 2007

... And Everything After

In honor of having missed the Counting Crows' show at Jazzfest this year, I'm doing a massive Crows listen-fest this afternoon (along with coffee and some writing). It is sort of a harsh blow to go to Jazzfest two days, neither of which are the day your favorite band in the history of, well, ever is playing. Although it did flood that afternoon and the Sabres pulled out a hell of a game, so there were also reasons it would have sucked to go. And I will say that both Norah Jones and John Mayer, who we did see, were great.

Still. We can take a moment to sigh.

In order to do my listen-fest, you will be interested to know, I had to download about five songs from iTunes to complete August and Everything After (I already had the other half in the form of illegal MP3s). I believe this makes it not only the first album I ever purchased, but also the only album I've purchased three times. The reason I didn't have it on the computer is because I seem to have lost the CD, and well, the tape I bought when I was 13 doesn't translate well to MP3 format. And yes, I count paying five bucks for half an album on iTunes "purchasing." Such is the life of the starving grad student. But it's all good, because now I can burn it onto a CD and have the entire album once again. This is one of those albums I have listened to so many times that I was able to fill in the track info in iTunes (which song goes where) just off the top of my head.

Anyway. I love the Counting Crows. They were sort of throwback neo-70's rock (which I also love) in the era of grunge. Plus I think Adam Duritz and I are soulmates. There are lyrics that speak to me in every single song. It's introspective insomniac rock for people who think too much.

Here are my Top 10 Favorite Counting Crows songs, in no particular order:

1. Miami (Hard Candy)
It just gets hard to believe that god sent this angel to watch over me
'Cause my angel, she don't receive my calls
She says I'm too dumb to fuck, too dumb to fight, too dumb to save
Well maybe I don't need no angel at all

2. Amy Hit the Atmosphere (This Desert Life)
If I could make it rain today
And wash away this sunny day down to the gutter, I would
Just to get a change of pace


3. Mr. Jones (August & Everything After)
I want to be a lion, everybody wants to pass as cats
We all want to be big, big stars
We got different reasons for that
Believe in me, 'cause I don't believe in anything
And I want to be someone to believe


4. Have You Seen Me Lately? (Recovering the Satellites)
Yeah you got a piece of me, but it's just a little piece of me
And I don't need anyone
And these days I feel like I'm fading away
Like sometimes when I hear myself on the radio
Have you seen me lately?


5. A Murder of One (August & Everything After)
I've been watching you for hours
It's been years since we were born
We were perfect when we started
I've been wondering where we've gone


6. Mrs. Potter's Lullaby (This Desert Life)
Well, I woke up in midafternoon, 'cause that's when it all hurts the most

7. Anna Begins (August & Everything After)
It does not bother me to say this isn't love
'Cause if you don't want to talk about it then it isn't love
And I guess I'm going to have to live without
But I'm sure there's something in a shade of gray or something in between
And I can always change my name, if that's what you mean


8. She Don't Want Nobody Near (Films About Ghosts)
She don't want nobody near, but you can't get away from that
They appear and disappear, and they all get a string attached
Pretty soon they've got you hanging on the line
Pretty soon they're singing one by one the same old rhyme
They say, I'm all right, I just can't get home tonight


9. Perfect Blue Buildings (August & Everything After)
I want to get me a little oblivion, baby
Try to keep myself away from me


10. Angels of the Silences (Recovering the Satellites)
I dream of Michelangelo when I'm lying in my bed
Little angels hang above my head and read me like an open book
And suck my blood, break my nerve, offer me their arms
I will not be an enemy of anything
I'll only stand here waiting for you

1 comment:

NOLADawn said...

I'm still jealous that you got to see Norah Jones and John Mayer. Damn kids... LOL