They Found the First Potentially Habitable Planet!
And it's only 20.5 light years from us! It's in a system called Gliese 581. I think this is the coolest news I've heard in a while. But I think everyone I know is aware of my opinion that we should pull out of Iraq and immediately go into space. It's absurd that we put a man on the moon forty years ago and haven't done anything since. Space is where it's at.
Some things about Gliese 581c:
- It circles the star every 13 days, compared to the Earth's 365. That's a whole year in less than two weeks!
- It's in the constellation Libra.
- It is roughly 5 times the size of Earth.
- They don't know for certain that it has water or an atmosphere, but the mass and temperature conditions are right, and it's the best bet they've found out of 220 planets so far.
If there's nobody out there but us... seems like an awful waste of space!
No comments:
Post a Comment