Thursday, April 19, 2007

Photographic Evidence

... of my cats' strange obsession with anything I do in the bathroom. They are like weird feline sharks that begin to circle at the sounds of pee or running water. It is somewhat unsettling. I snapped the picture a few seconds too late to catch them both standing up with their front feet on the rim of the tub, gazing at the water. (As you can deduce from the picture, Starbuck also has a strange obsession with Jolee's tail, which is what she's looking at behind the door.)

I am having a standoff with Jolee over his toenails. No sooner do I get his mats in shape than the nails on his 15 abnormal front toes start to grow out of control. Pretty soon the fur poking out between them will cause him to resemble Bigfoot. I have to figure out how to clip his nails so he doesn't hurt himself (his extra toes curl in on themselves). It's a catch 22. If I take him to the vet or groomer, I'll get shredded. If I do his toes and grooming here, I'll get shredded. I told him, "All right, you win this round, but I'm going to be forced to bring in the big guns." Maybe his debilitating fear of Mike will cause him to freeze long enough for one of us to clip his nails.

P.S. This is also photographic evidence of the new bathroom tile that caused all that misery two weeks ago.

5 comments:

Sadie said...

I don't know why cats do that! Dobby comes RUNNING to lick the tub when I get out of the shower. And nobody pees alone in my house. Strange.

Sarah said...

Mine come running too!

Not only that, but our tub does not drain properly, so there is very often five inches of water in there after I take a shower. Starbuck actually fell in once. Water and getting wet do not appear to faze her at all.

Tina said...

Hah! Tai, my pervy male cat, likes to get IN the tub while I'm showering. He'll either sit on the far edge or in between the shower curtain and the liner and stare. And forget peeng alone. The bathroom in our apartment is super small, but f you don't let him in, he yowls at the door until you do. Once in, he either sits blinking or puts his paws on your knee. It's far to interactive peeing... Pretty, my rescue cat, has started following me in and headbutting my calves...clearly, I do not suffer from preformance anxiety.

NOLADawn said...

Mouse licks my feet when I get out... Tina, he's a between the liner and curtain sitter too :)

Debby said...

I used to have a cat that did that. Completely obsessed with water/liquid, but especially the tub. He was fascinated by the fact that I would willingly let it touch me since he was terrified of it. Then when I was finished before I could even get out he would scramble into it to drink the water by the drain. Cats are starnge creatures sometimes.