Monday, April 2, 2007

OMG SO TRAUMATIZED!

So. While we were gone for the weekend, the construction men were supposed to finish the bathroom floor. It turned out it was a good thing we were going away, because they ripped out the toilet and the sink. (We only have the one bathroom in our apartment.) I was a little concerned about the cats Friday morning, since they were hiding in the bedroom super freaked out about the workers AND I was going out of town. But I put out their food and water, cleaned their boxes, and said goodbye.

On Saturday morning I woke up with the horrible thought that there was a huge hole in the bathroom floor from where the wood was rotten, and it would totally be like Starbuck to crawl into it and get stuck in the walls. I was afraid they would tile the floor over the top of her and she would be walled up in there like a poor kitten in an Edgar Allen Poe story. Also, when we left, the back door was hanging wide open. I don't think Jolee would ever venture out the back door, but Starbuck might. So I was very anxious to get home and make sure they were both A) still here, and B) not in the floor. While in Atlanta during our connection, we get a message from the landlord that the contractor got sick this weekend and didn't come back, so the floor did NOT get done and we also have NO TOILET.

Yes, this is right. As we speak, we have no toilet.

But this isn't why I'm traumatized. So we get home and I unlock the door and run inside, calling, "Kitties! Kitties! I'm home! Jolee! Starbuck!" No cats run to greet me. I expected them to pop right out when they heard me, so I thought, "Huh." I ran to the back of the apartment... to find THE BEDROOM DOOR CLOSED AND LATCHED! I glanced in the kitchen and none of the food had been touched! The litter box hadn't been used! I rip open the bedroom door and there is Jolee, all wide-eyed. He comes scooting out with his butt low to the floor, like he does when he is half-immobilized with fear, and Starbuck comes running out behind him. They both were just screaming at me.

I feel like the world's cruelest pet owner. I cannot believe the workers locked them in the bedroom. They were in there with no food or water the whole time I was gone! I know it's only two days... but I feel so awful! Jolee is especially upset. He just darted around, inconsolable, for half an hour. (Mike says it is because he is a Prima Donna. But my babe is not a Prima Donna. He's just sensitive.) They have had a ton to eat and drink now, and used the box, and they seem to be calming down. I'm sure it was an accident-- they probably shut the door to keep the dust out of our bedroom and didn't know the cats were in there. I'm amazed there isn't cat poop all over the bedroom, but I guess since they were STARVING they didn't have to go. They managed to tear some yarn off the carpet and pull a splinter off the door, but they didn't destroy anything.

Starbuck is running races around the living room, and Jolee just galloped across to join her. They are both crazy hyper at the moment, now that the food has digested. I know they will probably be running around all night like a herd of furry elephants, but there is no way I could bring myself to yell at them, because they have been locked in that little room for days. They need exercise.

It wasn't my fault, cats! I promise! Poor babes. :-(

3 comments:

Tina said...

Aww! Poor babies! Thank god you weren't gone longer. And don't you love how the weekend comes along and the contractor gets mysteriously "sick"? It's much like the painters, who were supposed to come and do there thing when my sister and initially moved, didn't. We were gone for FOUR AND A HALF days and they still dind't come. And I took the cats--both of them, even though Pretty is way too traumatized to even consider something like that--home to my parents house with me so they wouldn't be in the way, thus losin Pretty for about 2 months (she get freaked, bolted, I thought she had run outside, turns out she spent a month living off of bugs in the basement). And they didn't paint the apartment because of whatever lame ass reason provided. So yeah.

Also, while I'm concerned about your cats, I'm more concerned about the lack of toliet. What does one do when they have to *ahem* go and there's no toilet? I foresee some serious health issues of the blocked variety occuring.

Sadie said...

OH NO!! Poor kitties. Merlin and Dobby recently went without a litter box for a whole day. But they did have food and water. Which is why the dogs' beds and the bathmats had to be washed... Fortunately that turned out to be my husband's fault.

Also, my sister did have a cat hide in the floor of her house. They were about to move and he was freaked out by the moving men, etc. Found a hole in a closet and hid under the floor until she found him. Freaked her out.

I'm glad the kitties are okay, but how long are you going to have go without a toilet? Cause that could be seriously inconvenient.

Sarah said...

Oh, I can use the bathroom. I just have to climb over my landlord's piano and have Mike stand lookout for wandering workers.

They might be done tomorrow??