Wednesday, March 21, 2007

We Meet Again...

So I've been having these intense headaches that come and go. This would be since my stomach episode last Thursday/Friday. I just sort of dismissed it as being a side effect of the pills I was on. I have been very careful about what I'm putting in my stomach, and I haven't had any caffeine, alcohol, or dairy since my ER experience. Until yesterday at work, when I purposely hadn't eaten breakfast or taken my drugs. I wanted to be aware, yet I wasn't taking a chance on food, just in case it gave my stomach problems. I had spent the previous two days at work completely zoned out, which, you can take it from me, is sort of hard to do when your job is to interact with people and multitask the details of their dining experience. I didn't majorly screw anything up, but I never felt entirely "with it." So Tuesday I was walking through the kitchen area, just as the shift was about to start, and something snapped. "Fuck it," I said, and grabbed the pot of fresh coffee that was brewing on the waitstation. I poured myself a cup, slapped some soy milk in it, and within minutes (I tell you, minutes!) I was feeling better. Then it hit me that the headaches weren't from my medicine... I've been having caffeine withdrawal. More to the point: I need it to live.

But I didn't have any today. Because I am trying to be good to my stomach. Until... this evening while he was cooking dinner, Mike was drinking a reheated cup of coffee. I said to him, "Can I have a sip of that?" Next thing I knew, I had downed it. And just like that, I perked right up. Damn, I thought. Get me another pot of that.

And so, here I sit, typing away at my novel on the couch with a fresh cup of coffee. This, my friends, is what is right. This is what I do. Oh, coffee, I was wrong to think I could live without you.

Now let's do what we do best.

3 comments:

Sadie said...

You need it to live. *snort*

I don't even like coffee, but I have two cups every morning or I get really bad headaches.

I actually started drinking coffee to get rid of my headaches, and it worked.

NOLADawn said...

I'm not a coffee drinker, but if I don't have a couple Cokes a day I get REALLY cranky!

How's the job hunt going? Are you looking at public or private? I just saw that Sacred Heart has some postings in the paper, and I heard through Pat Austin that Audubon is hiring a Gifted teacher. Good luck. I don't know where I'll be next year.

Sarah said...

I'm doing that job fair thing at UNO next week, and basically getting my resume in shape right now. I'm going to just look everywhere and see what I can get.