Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Music Meme

I have been tagged by Sadie, Sadie, Married Lady for this meme. Therefore I'm going to list seven songs/CDs I've been listening to lately. It's going to be songs because I haven't bought an actual album for almost a year. It's not that I don't like music... I'm just more of a mix CD person. And most of my music is from circa four years ago, because the only time I listen to the radio is in my car. I'm an iTunes picker and chooser when it comes to music, although there are a couple of albums I might break down and actually buy. So. Seven songs. Here goes:

1. Kathleen Edwards, Hockey Skates. Funny story. My restaurant has these mix CDs that are put out by the corporate headquarters, which play over and over ad nauseaum. Most of the songs have the effect of making us want to go drown ourselves in the dishwasher. I don't know whose job it is to make these CDs, but they are so bad. On one of them is, I shit you not, an actual cover of "Time After Time" by a whiny male singer. Anyhow. This is the ONLY RESTAURANT SONG I have ever liked. I kept saying, "I have to have this song!" But of course the names of the songs aren't written on the stupid CDs. So I went into stealth Google search mode, and I hunted it down. Kathleen Edwards is a Canadian folk/rock singer, and I think I'm going to buy one of her albums. Anyone who puts the lines "I am so sick of consequence and the look on your face/I am tired of playing defense and I don't even have hockey skates" in a song is fine by me.

2. Vienna Teng, Harbor. According to iTunes, this is my most played song. "Girl with a piano who can write" is pretty much my #1 music genre, and she is awesome. You can listen to this song online at her site.

3. The Fray, Over My Head (Cable Car). In case this song wasn't overplayed enough, here it is in my playlist! I just like it. Leave me alone.

4. Hole, Celebrity Skin. See what I mean about me and music? This is totally from high school. This song just goes really well with the main character in my new novel in progress. I think it's her theme song.

5. Fiona Apple, Sleep to Dream. Ditto on this one. This one might also be Claudia's theme song. I think it's also one of the best breakup songs ever, period, no contest.

6. Nickelback, Far Away. According to iTunes, I play this song a lot. It's sort of cheesy, but I heard it on the radio and liked it.

7. Snow Patrol, Chasing Cars. OK, I guess I have downloaded a number of cheesy radio songs lately. I have no excuse.

Perhaps I'll think of people to tag later; the friendly downstairs construction men are about to start ripping up our bathroom floor and I need more coffee.

2 comments:

Sadie said...

Okay, I also love Chasing Cars, Far Away, and Cable Car...

And I once worked in a restaurant that had music just like that. Hmm.

I'm gonna check out your others in iTunes...

Sarah said...

I seem to have an "angsty men from the radio" theme going on in my songs lately.