Thursday, February 1, 2007

Thirteen First Lines


... from 13 Books I love. Can you guess what they're from? This was fun. It amuses me that some of them are so obvious and some of them might as well be from anything. (Hint: OK, less than half of them are SF/F, so that should make it easier.)

1. "We slept in what had once been the gymnasium."

2. "Lessa woke, cold."

3. "The beet is the most intense of vegetables."

4. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

5. "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

6. "Early in the morning, late in the century, Cricklewood Broadway."

7. "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

8. "The doctor woke up afraid."

9. "'We should start back,' Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them."

10. "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun."

11. "Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy."

12. "A green and yellow parrot, which hung in a cage outside the door, kept repeating over and over, 'Allez vous-en! Allez vous-en! Sapristi! That's all right!'"

13. "124 was spiteful."

(1. The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood. 2. Dragonflight, Anne McCaffrey. 3. Jitterbug Perfume, Tom Robbins. 4. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen. 5. The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien. 6. White Teeth, Zadie Smith. 7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, J.K. Rowling. 8. The Witching Hour, Anne Rice. 9. A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin. 10. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams. 11. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis. 12. The Awakening, Kate Chopin. 13. Beloved, Toni Morrison.)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!






6 comments:

Shelley said...

Cool TT...I wish I read more than I do. I feel that college and grad school taught me to treat reading as an assignment, so I have a hard time enjoying it.

Did read the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Books when I was a kid though...great works of literature.

My TT is up!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I know a few of these.

3. Jitterbug Perfume
5. The Hobbit
7. Harry Potter (the first)
10. Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy?
11. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
12. Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates

Happy Thursday

Anonymous said...

Doh. I just realized I got one wrong and that you posted the answers. :(

Tina said...

Fantastic list... and FYI you inspired my own list (which i haven't done for awhile). I think I got all of these except for The Witching Hour and the Awakening--both of which I have never read. Truly gripping first lines are extremely hard to write...

Debby said...

Great list! I knew some of those,but not all of them. I really like the deign! Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

#2 I love the Dragon tales my Anne McCaffery!