Sweetie One Ups Me in the Game of Life
... by reporting that he is getting $4,700 back from the federal government. That sort of makes my $720 look like petty cash, does it not? But it will allow us to buy the backup desktop we've been thinking about buying this month, which is cool. I got Lego Star Wars for Christmas but I can't really play it on our semi-defunct backup laptop. Which is a bummer because we have this huge monitor for gaming and stuff, but the laptop has a CD drive that barely works, no LCD screen, and is otherwise on its last leg. I also can't run anything from the last couple of years on my own laptop, which is an IBM Thinkpad T30 purchased in 2003.
I think I have mentioned before that my only goal in life is to someday own a computer that can run this.
So, in case you were not previously aware of this fact, Sweetie officially wins at life. And he bought groceries this month, even though it was my turn. Because he is just That Awesome. Thanks. Bye.
6 comments:
You do realize that a "refund" is not really a "refund"... its merely the govenment giving us back the taxes that we over paid to begin with.
I've been thinking about investing in a video game system. I gave my last boyfriend (the fuck face that I've blogged about a bit) a XBox for Christmas and was so addicted to it! I think I was more sad to see it go when he moved out then him. Maybe investing in a newer, sexier computer would provide the same entertainment but with the added function of being the life-force of my choosen occupation. Hmmm....
Actually, the more you earn, the less you get back. It's the governments way of making sure you never get too motivated.
He earned a hell of a lot more than me... except we both paid varying amounts of graduate school tuition for varying periods in 2006. But they took more from him, thus he had more to be given back.
I definitely think of my federal return as free money... I keep all my cash from waitressing and consider it my salary, so what they're giving me back is my $2 an hour paycheck I forget I'm getting anyway!
I waited tables for years to put myself through college, so I definitely know what you're talking about.
We have hit this weird income level though where you can earn more but take home less because we're in a higher tax bracket. That's when things like mortgage income tax deductions become important.
I hate being a grown up.
I'm OK with being a grown up, but hate the "earn-more-take-home-less" thing. Life just ain't fair.
BTW I too think of tax returns as free money. Shame I've not had any recently, nor am I likely too. Boohoo :-(
700 bucks is still nice, and the game would be nicer.
Post a Comment