Friday, February 2, 2007

In Which My Mutant Cat Grows More Toes

I really, really, really don't want to talk about the hour leading up to Jolee's checkup. Suffice it to say that there were tears... I cried (extreme frustration), he cried (panic), everyone cried and yelled, and some of us kicked others of us in the thigh and left a huge scrape. It was a thankfully uneventful appointment, once the cat was in the carrier. Totally immobilized by fear, he behaved perfectly. They took him out to give him his shots and remove his two mats. Then the vet called me into the back room of secrecy (where three people strap your pet down by the scruff of the neck and don't let you watch)... to show me the new toe he discovered on Jolee's right foot! I thought he had seven on each, but apparently he has eight on one and seven on the other. He officially has the most toes my vet has seen. Aw. He's my little mutant.

However, I need to either find a way to clip the toenail on the one in the middle underneath his foot, or bring him in every 4 months for them to do it, or else it will grow into his skin and he'll get an abcess (ew). Seeing as I had never even seen that toe before today, I'm not sure I can get to it. I can't wait.




Jolee, show the nice people your mutant feet. 5+5+7+8 = a grand total of 25 toes. The current Guinness Record cat has 28.

2 comments:

Jennfactor 10 said...

I once dated a guy whose cat had extra toes on all four of his feet, but the front ones were off-set so they looked like thumbs. Best.Cat.Ever. Him? Not so much.

I like the new look!

Sarah said...

Jolee has thumbs. He balances on them on tiptoe sometimes, and you can see it better. He has five toes for "fingers" and two/three as thumbs.