Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Quality Time With the One I Love

I got home from work about an hour ago, and am winding down with pizza and spending some quality time with Jolee. Heh. I bet you thought this post was going to be about my boyfriend.

Seriously, though, I am worried about my favorite furball. Today the kitten snuck up on him in his litter box, causing him to run away with poop clinging to his butt. I had to chase him down, and he was not happy. The last time I worked a night shift, I came home to find Mike flipping out over the cats. Starbuck had tried to eat Jolee's food, and Mike locked her away and tried to coax Jolee out to eat, but it only made Jolee more upset and he jumped into the cabinet, where he sat on a shelf and wouldn't come out. Mike got mad at him because he was "being an asshole" and refusing to eat. (I suppose at this point I should explain that our kitchen doesn't have a door, so you can't just lock Starbuck out of the kitchen.) Tonight the same thing happened again. I walked in and found that Mike had locked himself and Starbuck in the bedroom (with her litter box in the middle of the floor). Apparently she'd been eating Jolee's food (I'm more worried about him than her when it comes to this-- although I swear she has doubled in size in the 9 days she's been here), and Jolee freaked out and ran under the futon. Mike tried to be nice to him but he wouldn't come out. So of course, I walk in the door and he pops out from wherever he's been hiding. He followed me into the kitchen and I said, "Babe, why don't you eat your wet food?" And he did. See, he listens to me. All he needs is me.

Anyway, he and I are out in the living room by ourselves. I think he needs some quality Sarah-and-Jolee time. One thing I have noticed is he hasn't been purring if I pet him when Starbuck is nearby. It's like he can't relax enough. Not that she makes him nervous, but she definitely makes him hyper and makes him feel like he has to follow her all the time. I will pet him and he will look happy, but he doesn't do his usual him-and-me stuff. I feel like he needs to relax, like she doesn't let him nap and cuddle as much as he usually does. In the mornings when she is still locked up, I wake up with him purring next to my face. I feel like he values one-on-one time. Because he is my boy. He's my Jolie Jolee (yes, I am aware that this is bad French, because "cat" is a masculine noun, never mind that Jolee is a masculine cat and therefore shouldn't be called "pretty," but it is one of his nicknames).

Sarah-and-Jolee Time Looks Suspiciously Like Using the Cat As a Pillow

7 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

i guess starbuck is the alpha cat then? Can they eat the same food? or what my mother does is feed grey cat first, then protect the bowl while striped cat eats

Sadie said...

Well, as you know i've been having feeding troubles, too, but not as bad, at least both my cats are eating SOMETHING.

To keep Merlin out of Dobby's room (where his food is) we got one of those baby gates. You could try that and put Jolee in the kitchen with his food and keep the baby out (when you say your kitchen doesn't have a door, do you mean there's no door or no doorway? No doorway at all would make this suggestion no help, obviously).

That would keep JOlee locked up, though. Our gate keeps Merlin out, but Dobby can squeeze under it, so he can come and go.

Sadie said...

Oh-- and I did think your post would be about your boyfriend, but I completely understand. I love my quality time with my Merlin...

Sarah said...

They eat the same food, it's just that Jolee is being stubborn and won't eat because he's mad. Usually I feed them at the same time in different rooms and it's no big deal. Apparently, Jolee feels insecure eating without me around? It's no biggie, though, he's gotten very... substantial. Believe me, he doesn't need more to eat.

Guess I could get a gate... the kitchen does have a doorway but no door. I think it's more that he can deal with Starbuck when I'm there but is less happy when I am gone.

Anonymous said...

Jolee will eat when he is hungry, and it won't make any difference to him which dish he eats out of. When he decides to eat, he will give the kitten a cuff and that will be the end of it. Cats are very good at manipulation and training susceptible humans. We always had several cats and they all ate out of the same dish with no problem. Of course, they weren't doted on. Try ignoring all the shenanigans and see what happens. If you plan to own two cats they have to learn how to live together, unless you and Mike plan to divide your living space in half.

Sarah said...

My furball is tres spoiled.

Crystal said...

I would just give it a little bit of time and just keep doating over Jolee. My one cat, her name is Squirrel Cat (she eats peanuts). She is a "me" cat and rarely allows anyone to enjoy her company, even my husband. She sleeps at my head, cleans my hair. I held her the moment she was born. She can be very finiky when I give the other cats too much attention and will even seem a bit depressed. I give her the absolute most attention I can, and try not to let her see me when I give the others attention.

I have heard that other Katrina cats are very possesive of their people. Beignet was not impressed that he had to share me with the other cats, but he adapted.I am sure with a bit of time Jolee will realize that you are all his. Because he is a Katrina survivor, I think he deserves to be babied.

If Starbuck is a little greedy with the food, then stand guard while Jolee eats. He will probally love you even more. If you think that he is being terrorized by Starbuck while you are not home, just keep them apart for a while. Most cats just sleep when you aren't home. She may just be performing for you, because you are home.

Take it slow, one day at a time and I am sure every thing will work out. :o)