Busy, Busy, Bored, Busy
I have been busy this week with work. It is hard for me to say that seriously, because it is hard for me to take my job seriously. I think they sense this. But I'm a 25 year old with a B.A. and several credits toward an M.A. under my belt, and I wait tables. Come on. It's way lame, but right now it's the way to make the greatest amount of cash working the fewest hours.
Only... not. Despite promises that the holiday season would be great, I made like zero money the week before Christmas. Then I went to New York for a week. Then this week I didn't make any money either. I made $35 at dinner Thursday. To throw out a comparison, on a good Thursday dinner I walk out with $170. I'm taking a huge hit, and it's a bit worrying because I have to pay tuition to UNO in two weeks. I picked up some extra shifts, and that's where I've been. I haven't even unpacked my suitcase from Christmas.
Apparently classes start this week. Good thing I checked. I'm not particularly ready for this to happen, but I am ready to finish the coursework and be certified, so I guess let's get on with it!
Sort of a depressing week to be living in New Orleans, as we've had a huge crime wave since New Year's. It's stressing me out. I want to feel safe. I think I might go to this march against crime downtown on Thursday. I don't have to work till five, and it's important to show that citizens won't stand for apathy and ineptitude on the part of our local government anymore. (I will not snark about how NONE of the people I voted for won their elections, and therefore we have huge idiots in office... oh wait, I just did.)
3 comments:
Good luck with classes! I go back next week. That sucks that business is slow at your restaurant. I hope it picks up soon. Good for you to go on the march, at the very least it will make you feel like you're a part of the solution.
I get frustrated being just an admin when I have a degree as well. I know so many people without degrees that are doing much better than I am.
Coincidentally, two hours before that conference, our friend Warren J. Riley dined at the table of yours truly at my workplace near the CBD. Which has nothing to do with anything, it's just funny. I don't think anything they talked about today seemed incredibly life-changing. We need something big and structural, some initiative that everyone is willing to get on board with, and that was not it.
Post a Comment